Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Server Stuff

Default Re: Server Stuff

You can use Webmin to manage domains and subdomains, IF you are using it to do your DNS to the internet. So for instance in GoDaddy you have to give them 2 DNS server (ie. NS1.blah.com and NS2.blah.com) if you are running Webmin on those servers then you can use Webmin. If you are using 3rd party for your DNS .. then it is all controlled at their server.

Oh, BTW SgtM .. have you checked your PMs?

w00t w00t! Got my subdomain to work! Now I'm super happy .
    RIP Bucko

so mal, when are we going to get a url to see what youve been working on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    so mal, when are we going to get a url to see what youve been working on?
    Heh, when I finish

Most of the time I've spent on it so far is changing the theme. I can't find any I really like, so I downloaded one and I'm editing every image in PS to my liking. It sucks though, because whoever made the theme made the heading graphic 2 images, so it looks off because I couldn't get them to match up perfect. I think I'll download a new one and just start over. Shouldn't be too long before I have it running though.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    You can use Webmin to manage domains and subdomains, IF you are using it to do your DNS to the internet. So for instance in GoDaddy you have to give them 2 DNS server (ie. NS1.blah.com and NS2.blah.com) if you are running Webmin on those servers then you can use Webmin. If you are using 3rd party for your DNS .. then it is all controlled at their server.

Oh, BTW SgtM .. have you checked your PMs?
    Got it. The 3 that I own right now are going to expire next month. I dont have a use for them so it's no big deal. I just like playing around with webmin right now. Maybe I'll order a domain after the new year. We'll see.

Mal

How is the dynamic DNS working out for you now you've been using it a while? Is it effective? Any issues?

Matthew

Mal

How is the dynamic DNS working out for you now you've been using it a while? Is it effective? Any issues?

Matthew
    It's been working great actually. After realizing some of the things that were keeping it from it doing what I wanted it to do (most of them being my fault also) it's been pretty good.

Edit: Wow, I said "it" a lot.
    RIP Bucko

while we're on the subject how did you get your external ip to point to your server?
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    It's been working great actually. After realizing some of the things that were keeping it from it doing what I wanted it to do (most of them being my fault also) it's been pretty good.
    Good to hear it. I'm thinking about taking one of these Apple PowerPC's and putting a linux server distro on it to run my sites from home. Dynamic DNS would be essential for me I think. If that happens I will be tapping your brain ... don't worry it won't hurt

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    while we're on the subject how did you get your external ip to point to your server?
    I believe I did that with the FreeDNS service. You port forward to the IP of the WWW box (for me 192.168.1.3) with the router settings and then add your external IP to the FreeDNS and domain registration forms.
    RIP Bucko