Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Card Temperatures...

Default Video Card Temperatures...

Good Afternoon.

I recently purchased an ATI Radeon X1650 (AGP 256MB) to replace a failing Radeon 9800 Pro in my computer. Its a decent card, and I am happy with my purchase, except I have a few issues.

First off, the card runs like the sun. From stock, my temperatures are 69C idle, and as much as, 88C under load. Somehow 190.4 degrees Fahrenheit doesn't seem like a safe temperature, so I tweaked the fan speeds some, and got it down to 64C idle and 81C under load. If I crank the fan to 100%, it dives no lower than 57C idle. Is this normal?

My other issues include having trouble keeping underclocked settings. I use ATI Tray Tool and somehow my card likes to crank its GPU & Memory speed back to stock. I am having Vista driver issues, along with some qwerkyness with XP video (like long delays opening video files).

Oh and is there a way to offload all video processing to the card when watching video files? I see my CPU maxing at 100% when trying to play high-def content, but my video card sits there bored.

Thanks.

-Cool-
    Project Pioneer : AMD AthlonXP 3000+ : 1GB DDR RAM : Windows XP MCE
    ATI Radeon X1650 256MB : 520-Watt Corsair PSU : 20x DVD-RAM DL + LightScribe
    1.0TB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Samsung SATA II
    250GB Seagate SATA I : 80GB Western Digital PATA/IDE

Default Re: Video Card Temperatures...

Well, it sort of depends on the ambient temp. (Case temp, outside temp)
    Right before I change my drivers (now the CP doesnt function for some reason.. damn you nvidia) my half-load temp was around 56C or something like that.
    Ambient case temp was probably around 50C or more. Summer here sure is hot.

So check the fans, clean stuff, oil them, change the thermopaste and various other tweaks that can cool it down a bit.

Overall, I'd say 88C is a lil' bit too much.
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

i to have a hot ati card, not as hot as yours but still to hot. its 63 on 75% load or so. i tried underclocking with the ATI Tool but it wouldn't stay, i've got xp. what i did to help, though i'm thinking its not working, is change the thermal paste to Artic Sivler 5 and put a120mm fan next to it so when i game i turn it on. i was looking at this after market cooler its only $25. it will fit your card and is fanless. you can add a fan (i would) to cool it even more.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Greco101

My X1600PRO is extremely hot too. I'm not sure why. I think it's just how the card is. I'm not too worried though because I haven't had artifacting or restarts or anything.
    RIP Bucko

ATX Mental Case

I have the x1800 which is vary simalar to your card. The problem the cards have is that they have nice fans but ati keeps them running really slow to cut back on noise. I downloaded ATI tool and set it up to dynamicly turn up the fan speed as the card got hotter. Here is my setup if it helps give you a base line

currently i idle around 50 and full load at around 60

Edit:Sorry i didnt read you whole post looks like you already tried this. in responce to your first question, is 57C at 100% fan under load or at idle? if thats idle its too hot.

My other issues include having trouble keeping underclocked settings.
    if your using ATI tray tools or ATI tool there is some sort of service you have to disable to keep catalyst from swiching from 2d clock to 3d clock
    Last edited by Exley; 07-31-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Didnt read

My ATi Radeon X850PE too runs hot. Perhaps they regularly underspec their cooling components? I'd plan on changing from the stock cooler but I'm getting rid of the card. I want 2 Nvidia something

Quote Originally Posted by Exley View Post
    I have the x1800 which is vary simalar to your card. The problem the cards have is that they have nice fans but ati keeps them running really slow to cut back on noise. I downloaded ATI tool and set it up to dynamicly turn up the fan speed as the card got hotter. Here is my setup if it helps give you a base line

currently i idle around 50 and full load at around 60

Edit:Sorry i didnt read you whole post looks like you already tried this. in responce to your first question, is 57C at 100% fan under load or at idle? if thats idle its too hot.

if your using ATI tray tools or ATI tool there is some sort of service you have to disable to keep catalyst from swiching from 2d clock to 3d clock
    dude +rep for shwoing me that! i changed over two 100% and its slightly noticable when no other sounds are present and it dropped my temps 6 degrees! thanks!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

We have a customer that is using the 1650 in a Redhat box and there _seems_ to be no way to force the fan speed thingy in Linux. This is such a big issue that they will more than likely be replacing all 16 of the ATI cards with an nVidia equivalent. We just cannot keep them cool enough without disturbing their work mates with fan noise. ...sigh...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Greco101

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    they will more than likely be replacing all 16 of the ATI cards with an nVidia equivalent.
    It'd be sweet if you could get your hands on them!