Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Card Temperatures...

Default Re: Video Card Temperatures...

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    We have a customer that is using the 1650 in a Redhat box and there _seems_ to be no way to force the fan speed thingy in Linux. This is such a big issue that they will more than likely be replacing all 16 of the ATI cards with an nVidia equivalent. We just cannot keep them cool enough without disturbing their work mates with fan noise. ...sigh...
    There is also no way to do this with ATITool or ATI Tray Tools on my Sapphire Radeao X1600PRO. Which sucks because this thing is hot!
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by Greco101 View Post
    It'd be sweet if you could get your hands on them!
    yes, if we have to swap out the cards, my company will be stuck with them since we will not be able to return them to our vendor (been in use too long). Good thing though, our customer understands this and will be paying a HUGE restocking fee and we will end up putting them up on fleabay... I should know more next week. (too bad I don't have a mobo that would take them, since I am still using agp...)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Greco101

yes, if we have to swap out the cards, my company will be stuck with them since we will not be able to return them to our vendor (been in use too long). Good thing though, our customer understands this and will be paying a HUGE restocking fee and we will end up putting them up on fleabay... I should know more next week. (too bad I don't have a mobo that would take them, since I am still using agp...)
    awesome! Make a note to keep us updated in this thread

If you want lower temps, I would recommend an after-market cooler. Although this does tend to make your warranty void (why I don't know) but it's normally well worth it. Do a little research and always set a budget.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Greco101

any news on the cards?

Is awesome

I have an ATI x800pro. It used to get into the low 80's under load. While this is technically okay in the short run, such a high temperature can cause it to have shorter life in the long run.

So i went with an arctic cooler 4. http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?disc=1&idx=5

IT is really too bad that they don't make them anymore. It works well, gets only up to 60 under load. I've had it for over a year without a problem, and it's quiet enough that i don't ever really notice it. It also moves air out the back like an 8800 cooler does (even if it takes up an extra slot).

And video cards are actually a lot different than cpu's, as they can effectively run at a bit over 80c, maybe even break 90c. I mean, it's terrible for them to do it, but they don't really start to meltdown until the 90's.

But sometimes, you want to get rid of that annoying fan, and i would want to get rid of it too. Stock fans are almost always teh suck when they spool up, polluting your work environment with unneeded sound. If i were you, i would get that passive cooler. Just make sure you have enough air moving, or it won't do a thing.
    You love my sig.

I've been thinking about getting one of these for my ATI 1900 XTX.
    http://www.dangerden.com/store/produ...&cat=47&page=1

anyone had any good/bad luck with one?

Haven't had experience with that block, but it looks decent...

Thanks everyone for the help. I tweaked my fan speeds so now it peaks around 77C, but I still cant get my clock settings to take. I want to clock everything down 50Mhz but it keeps setting itself back to stock, no matter what I do to ATI Tray Tools. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    But sometimes, you want to get rid of that annoying fan, and i would want to get rid of it too. Stock fans are almost always teh suck when they spool up, polluting your work environment with unneeded sound. If i were you, i would get that passive cooler. Just make sure you have enough air moving, or it won't do a thing.
    I find the fan on my X1650 pretty quiet, even when cranked to 100%, which is why I wonder why ATI decided that 90C still wasn't hot enough for even 50% fan.

-Cool-
    Project Pioneer : AMD AthlonXP 3000+ : 1GB DDR RAM : Windows XP MCE
    ATI Radeon X1650 256MB : 520-Watt Corsair PSU : 20x DVD-RAM DL + LightScribe
    1.0TB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Samsung SATA II
    250GB Seagate SATA I : 80GB Western Digital PATA/IDE

The clock settings in the BIOS of the card will always take effect after you restart the computer (or shut down and later boot up). You can however set ATI tool to run at startup and load a profile at start up.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!