Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead iBook?!?!?! need HELP

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

Default Dead iBook?!?!?! need HELP

my sister's beloved iBook recently took a sleep and never woke up

at first i though the screen broke again [almost a year ago the samething happened] so i hooked up a monitor to it and nothing....

then i thought the batter must be dead.... i took out the battery and wired it up the wall and a sign of life. it plays its little "boot up" clip.... then nothing. i cant feel the harddrive spining or nothing.

my sister took it to a Apple repair shop and they said the contoller board needed replacing and it was going to cost around 300-400 bucks. i think that was a little steep

could there be anything else wrong with this lap top? or is it controller board, if it is where can i find a controller board replacement [other than Ebay].

any help and links would be helpful
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

Default Re: Dead iBook?!?!?! need HELP

Do they mean the logic board?

Depends on the model but some here are way cheaper than that - most more expensive.

There is also a component repair program as some iBook's have known component problems.

This thread called A DIY iBook Logic Board Repair at Macworld might help.

I'm tired man goooofgling for ya. Off to the sofa for a lay down hehe

CrazyB

lol. thankz. im trying to set up my home network [done] and do this at the same time. thankz for the linkz +rep for your infinite kindness

BTW. yea logic board is what i meant >.<

i want to try to fix this laptop, backup all her music and pic on a portable HDD and then keep the laptop for myself her company is gonna give her one anywayz! YAY! free laptop, just need to get it working.

update. i drained the battery and charged it again... booted up the mac and heard the HDD spining... but other than that no signs of life. guess the logic board is the problem... the one i think i need is 600 bucks on that site CB gave me so the apple repair shop is a deal, plus they give me 1yr warranty on the laptop with the repair so if anything goes wrong im covered...

guess that what im going to do , unless anyone else has anyother genius ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by elbarto241 View Post
    update. i drained the battery and charged it again... booted up the mac and heard the HDD spining... but other than that no signs of life. guess the logic board is the problem... the one i think i need is 600 bucks on that site CB gave me so the apple repair shop is a deal, plus they give me 1yr warranty on the laptop with the repair so if anything goes wrong im covered...

I'd look a bit harder on the net first because I didn't struggle to find you a deal. Having said that the Apple Market is so different from the PC market I would be surprised if you got a price good enough to be worth doing it yourself and not having the warranty.

Only other alternative I could suggest would be pick one up second hand that has say a broken screen and get the tools out

CrazyB

CB, that was one of my other options. now to cruize ebay....

thanks for the replies everyone. i talked to my sister in the morning and she confirmed that her company was going to give her a laptop so its pretty much mines

Fresh Paint

I just remember from my experience of taking apart ibooks, when you goto deroute the display cable it's an ass to get it out and then to remember the path it was laid. Mine didn't shut all the way when I went to put it back together, so I had to reroute it and I still couldn't get it perfect. I had to replace my screen on my G4, it had met Mr. Chair on the way falling down.

I also had one of my comps Logic boards die. It was gonna be damn expensive to get it replaced in any way so I chucked it, it was an old PowerBook G3, didn't think it was worth it. Like a 350MHz core, can't remember. Something REALLY old.

Last but not least, when you get a Mac. Always get the extended warranty because their warranty's cover all the **** that would go wrong, even it it's accidental. Atleast for me it was, saved me an huge bundle of cash to get it cause to years in my tea met my keyboard and the tea won. So I got the logic board, hard drive, and CD drive fixed. Was gonna be like 800$ if I didn't have to warranty.
    Chown,
    -Free

P.S. My first post.

I put the "Complete care" on all the Dell laptops that pass through my office, including my own. If anything happens (anything!), they ship a new one, then you ship the old one in for repairs.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by elbarto241 View Post
    guess the logic board is the problem... the one i think i need is 600 bucks on that site CB gave me so the apple repair shop is a deal, plus they give me 1yr warranty on the laptop with the repair so if anything goes wrong im covered...

With that price, you would be better off buying a new one:

well im thinking ill just take it to a repair store. they said they will fix it for 300 bucks and give me a 2yr warranty for anything that breaks on the lappy.

another option is to buy a ibook with a broken screen or something and swap out the parts. ive been sweeping through my local craig's list trying to find a broken lappy but so far no luck >.< hopefully soon i can pull a minty