Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Scythe KAMA-Meter Fan Controller

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Review: Scythe KAMA-Meter Fan Controller

I got the Scythe KAMA-Meter just under a week ago and have been using it a lot since, here's my review:

Purchase:

I purchased it from Newegg for $34. Here's a link.

Specs:
    -Fits in single 5.25" Bay
    -4 temperature probes
    -4 Channel Fan Control
    -Analog Volume Control
    -7 Backlight Colors
    -Full Metal Construction
    -3 Interchangeable Faceplates

Unpacking:
    The KAMA-Meter comes in a very busy looking box. Most of it is Japanese (I think) with english sub-lettering. This itself may be confusing to some, but if you take a second, you'll find all the info you need. Opening it reveals a lot of foam: the inside is divided up into 4 chambers (One for the cables/screws, one for the controller, and one for each extra faceplate. Everything is well packaged and snugly fit, so there is no chance of any damage to anything.

Setup:
    Being much like the box, the manual is mostly in Japanese(?) with english sublettering. This can make it very confusing for some. However, if you know computers and general peripherals well, then you probably won't need the manual. Anyways, the installation was very straight-forward: hook up the floppy-drive power connection, hook up the fans, hook up the temperature probes and hook up the audio pass-through. I had no problem installing it with the NZXT Lexa's 5.25" Rail system; went in perfectly fine and was flush with the front. To change the face-plate (comes with white, silver and black), you simply unscrew two screws and pull it off.

Note: I changed (with a little bit of modding) the audio connector so that it controlled only my front panel audio, since (other than my headphones) I use a digital connection.

Build Quality & Use:
    You'd be very, very suprised about how well this is built. All the parts are made of semi-thick metal and feel solid. The whole thing is actually quite heavy for a fan-controller (which is a probably a good thing). The screen is very large (taking up most of the controller) and is extremely clear. There are four knobs; one for temperature probe selection, one for fan selection, one for fan speed and one for volume. The three gauges are LCD but each has a numerical display and a gauge-like display.
    I like the way they chose to make this device work: instead of having a knob for each fan and function they simplify it. This way when you select a certain fan, you can adjust it (900RPM to Full RPM) and view its RPM. Likewise with the temperature monitor; you use the knob to select the temp you want to view. I wish you could turn a fan off, but 900RPMs is quiet enough for all my fans.
    Sadly the volume knob is analog only and has an annoying expansion slot device with a wire that goes to your speaker out on your sound card and allows it to monitor the volume. The number on the volume gauge does not represent the actual dB but instead shows the amount you have it set for with the knob, whereas the gauge portion changes with the sound like it should. As I said, I wish it has some sort of digital options but the analog works since I'll be using it to monitor my headset.
    The device has two more features: the alarm and the backlight. The alarm will go off in several situations: 1)When a temp probe measures below 0 degrees Celsius 2)When a temp probe measures above 90 degrees Celsius and 3)When a fan spins below 900RPM. If #1 or #2 occur the screen flashes red, if #3 occurs it flashes yellow. I don't understand why the alarm would go off for less than 0 Degrees, but since most people don't have subzero cooling that shouldn't be a problem. Lastly, you can change the backlight color. There are seven colors (to keep the review easy to view click here to view the colors). I personally like the white/purple, the teal and the red.

(Front panel view with Flash)

Conclusions
    This is a very high quality, functional and stylish fan controller/system monitor. It will make a great addition to your case, if not just for the looks. Though there are some minor annoyances, they are nothing that should prevent anyone from getting it.

Pros:
    -Great Price
    -Extremely Good Build Quality
    -3 Metal Interchangeable Faceplates
    -Very Stylish
    -All Information is easily accessed
    -Generally Easy to use
    -Good Variety of backlight colors

Cons:

-The number shown on the volume is not the actual dB
    -The alarm goes off when a component is too cold
    -Manual is unclear

Ease of Use: 9
    Build Quality/Appearance: 10
    Functionality: 9
    Overall: 9.6

-Indybird
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 08-09-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Default Re: Scythe KAMA-Meter Fan Controller Review

Excellent review. +rep to you Indy.
    RIP Bucko

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Looks cool, good review.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Thanks for the comments guys.

I grabbed my other camera and updated the pictures, now they're pretty nice.

Nice review, one question can it automatically adjust fan speeds according to temps?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Nice review, one question can it automatically adjust fan speeds according to temps?
    No.

(Wow that was a short post )

-Indybird

Thanks.

(That was pretty short too)

It is reviews like this that help me decide which devices to put into my new case. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Killdrath View Post
    It is reviews like this that help me decide which devices to put into my new case. Thanks.
    If you get it, let us know how you like it...
    -Indybird

Will do.

Right now, I'm kind of between that one and this one:

My GF likes the flip out screen, but I'm more partial to the KAMA. Her system is next after mine, and I'll probably ger her the flip out (or maybe do the software fan control hooked to a custom touch screen)