Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Volume Knob?

ATX Mental Case

Default Custom Volume Knob?

Heya, just wondering if anyone knew how to make a custom volume knob/dial. Trying to put together an HTPC style case concept. Thanks.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Custom Volume Knob?

You could take an existing knob, pull off the knob part and sculpt something out of Bondo or whatever, just so long as it's something that won't shrink too much to where you can't put it on the metal part... pull a knob/dial apart and get a little creative, this shouldn't take too much thought to figure out what to do, good luck!

Austral Alien

Or you could just buy one of these and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

ATX Mental Case

Thats cool, I might consider that now, lolz.

Anywho, I was thinking of getting a knob for my case, and I were to do it myself, I was wondering how I would go abouts hooking up the knob to the computer and have it change the volume (i don't know what i need to make the connections happen). Thanks!

Use a holesaw to cut a round piece of plexi, bondo the hole in the center to make it fit onto the control pot shaft, paint it a solid color on the front and leave the back clear, and use a dremel to cut a notch in the front to show position.

Then, backlight that mofo. The notch will light up, and you can even sand a ring around it to make that light up too, but the rest would be a solid color.

THAT would look sweet. Hmm.. makes me want to try that myself now...

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Austral Alien

It really shouldn't be too hard to make a volume knob. I think the easiest way (and the way I've been thinking of doing it on my own PC) is to use the existing volume knob for your speakers and moving it to the case and just extending the wires to the speakers.

I use the Logitech X540 speakers on my PCs (I have two of these sets) and they have a hard wired remote for the power/volume/bass controls.

The X540 speaker system:

My plan was to cut off the controller and mod it into the case, then use a parallel port style connector in the back of case so that effectively all I have done is extend the existing connectors and the parallel port is just used as a simple plug to hook it all up.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Some keyboards have volume knobs also, that should work too.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Some keyboards have volume knobs also, that should work too.
    I tried that too. I use a USB interface for my cordless keyboard, so I tried modding a ps2 keyboard for just the media buttons. Unfortunately when I cut off the rest of the keyboard circuit boards and just left the media stuff, it no longer worked.

As it was an old keyboard, it was no loss to try it out.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

ATX Mental Case

Hey guys, sorry, maybe I led you all in the wrong direction, but its not the actual "volume knob" im having troubles with, its the connections to make it turn and actually make it adjust the PC's volume (the wiring and stuff) xD Thanks for the input though! 8D

Anodized

ok sorry about this but... is any one lol'ing with all these talk about knobs hahaha

yea i know im imature