Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: computer game

Default computer game

i know these may seem very out of place but I've recently conducted a study about how computer games affect a persons lifestyle. my question to you is that,are computer games really addicting?! i've been through playing PlayStation and desktop computer games but i was not really much addicted to it. but my peers were! please help me in my quest for learning! thanks!!

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Re: computer game

Quote Originally Posted by earthfox12 View Post
    i know these may seem very out of place but i've recently conducted a study about how computer games affect a persons lifestyle. my question to you is that,are computer games really addicting?! i've been through playing PlayStation and desktop computer games but i was not really much addicted to it. but my peers were! please help me in my quest for learning! thanks!!

I've got a easy 2,500$ computer custom built for gaming.

Ya i play video games about 2 hours a week?

(feels a great disturbance in the force,as if thousands of teenage gamers cried out at once)

Besides everyone is addicted to something. It might be video games, It might be crack cocaine, It might be gardening or it might be shopping it might be working or it might be facebook. and every person melds there lifestyle around there addiction no matter what it may be. because that is how we work as a species.

humans are naturally addictive animals.

not chemically but yeah, i got friends who are addicted..
    --Please read TOS concerning Signatures--

They definitely can be. There's a reason WoW got the nickname "warcrack"..

Realistically I think it depends on the person. I go through phases where I play the game a TON then just stop playing and lose interest. Video games in general are a big hobby of mine, so I do play a lot. I've been a gamer since my pre-teens and I'm 26 now. My collection of games, systems, etc is probably easily into the thousands on what I've spent over the years. But what person doesn't have a hobby they've put money into over time?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I deal with people every day who build $2000 systems for gaming alone. Most of the time it's for a specific upcoming game, like MW3 or Old Republic
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

No video games are addictive. Nor is the internet, facebook, food, nicotine, caffeine, etc, etc. Dopamine is addictive. It controls feelings of pleasure and motivation amongst other things. People want to feel 'good'. How they go about getting the dopamine released may differ greatly. Nicotine (and harder drugs), alcohol, food, sex and gambling are pretty popular. Video games fit in there for some people.
    I've definitely seen videos on youtube of people reacting ridiculously when their gaming session is interrupted... I've played many games, including WoW, without any hint of addiction. It really depends on personality and brain chemistry. Perhaps I'm just not as responsive to dopamine as some others are or maybe I don't produce as much...therefore I'm not as easily hooked on 'addictive' substances or actions.

Welcome to TBCS by the way!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    I've got a easy 2,500$ computer custom built for gaming.

Ya i play video games about 2 hours a week?

(feels a great disturbance in the force,as if thousands of teenage gamers cried out at once)

Besides everyone is addicted to something. It might be video games, It might be crack cocaine, It might be gardening or it might be shopping it might be working or it might be facebook. and every person melds there lifestyle around there addiction no matter what it may be. because that is how we work as a species.

humans are naturally addictive animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    They definitely can be. There's a reason WoW got the nickname "warcrack"..

Realistically I think it depends on the person. I go through phases where I play the game a TON then just stop playing and lose interest. Video games in general are a big hobby of mine, so I do play a lot. I've been a gamer since my pre-teens and I'm 26 now. My collection of games, systems, etc is probably easily into the thousands on what I've spent over the years. But what person doesn't have a hobby they've put money into over time?
    yeah, twigs. i agree. my computer is probably 3 grand. im the same way. and corse, very similar. i go through "gaming intensive phases" where ill play 20 hours in a week, but most its only 3-4 if that.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    yeah, twigs. i agree. my computer is probably 3 grand. im the same way. and corse, very similar. i go through "gaming intensive phases" where ill play 20 hours in a week, but most its only 3-4 if that.
    Happens when a kick a@# game comes out.

Man i can still clean out servers on Day of Defeat though. it'll go from me saying "hey guys hows it going" to "zomfg twigs is aim hax and wall hax" inside 20 minutes.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    Happens when a kick a@# game comes out.

Man i can still clean out servers on Day of Defeat though. it'll go from me saying "hey guys hows it going" to "zomfg twigs is aim hax and wall hax" inside 20 minutes.
    HAHA true that. I just got Total War: Shogun 2 and I played it for about 16 hours straight.

And I get that when I play CSS with my buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    HAHA true that. I just got Total War: Shogun 2 and I played it for about 16 hours straight.

And I get that when I play CSS with my buddy.
    I've played a 8 hour mission before on ww2ol.

not played the game for 8 hours....played 1 mission on the game for 8 hours straight with the same infantry man.

lol took 6 towns that night from the nhatzes.

www.battlegroundeurope.com