View Poll Results: Which cases are your favorite?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Asus Ares CG6150

7 19.44%
  • Silverstone Raven RV01

8 22.22%
  • Alienware Aurora ALX

6 16.67%
  • HP Blackbird & HP Firebird

8 22.22%
  • Auzentech GMC R-4 Bulldozer

8 22.22%
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

8 22.22%
  • Cooler Master Stacker 830

3 8.33%
  • NZXT Rogue

4 11.11%
  • Zalman TNN 500AF & Zalman TNN 300

0 0%
  • Acer Predator ASG7700

10 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 10 Best Computer Cases Ever

Default The 10 Best Computer Cases Ever

I love to mod computer cases, and over the past few years computer cases have gotten really cool. This change in the industry is easily a response to the modding community and I'm fine with that. Having a really nice case when you start a mod means you can do more aesthetically and worry less about fixing all the crap that didn't work right when you got it. Sometimes though, a company makes a case so nice that you don't want to touch it. Here are my top 10 cases, no mods needed.

Asus Ares CG6150

It looks good alright. This case surfaced at CeBIT in 2008 and sadly that's the last anyone ever saw of it. The surface of the case looks like carbon fiber, although it's probably plastic with a fancy paint job. One big drawback with this case that we'll see with many in the top 10 is that you have to buy an entire system just to get the case. Let's hope this one makes it to market.

Silverstone Raven RV01

This case is a good example of where the industry is heading. It has five 5.25 bays in front and room for six hard drives inside. The hard drives are mounted 90 degrees to how most traditional cases have them in both the x and y axis. This makes swapping drives easy without having to dismantle everything. The power supply is also mounted on the bottom of the case, a move that should have been made a long time ago. If you put the computer on a desk the cord doesn't have to travel as far, and power supplies weigh a lot, which makes a lot of cases top heavy. As far as looks go, this case is a little understated compared to a lot of the cases seen in the enthusiast realm, but the design decisions make sense, the age of side windows and cold cathodes is on its way out. It's not flashy, but it makes a statement. The best part about this case is that you can find them online right now for about $180.

Alienware Aurora ALX

Alienware has been hit or miss for me in the past. Most enthusiasts hate Alienware, because most people who own Alienware machines don't know much about computers. If they did, then they would not pay so much for the overpriced hardware that comes with the very nice cases. That said, Alienware's new cases are looking really nice, and they are starting to realize that they need to offer more than a nice case to sell to the enthusiast crowd. The new Aurora ALX and the Area 51 cases feature active venting, which means the vents on the top of the cases open when the machine starts to heat up during long gameplay sessions. It may be a gimmick, but it is a cool one. The best of the new cases is the Aurora ALX. I like the slung back look reminiscent of old hot rods a time frame which coincides with the Roswell incident. It's a connection I like and look I love. The bad thing is that to get a case with active venting you are going to have a starting point of $2,200. Again, they make some really smart design decisions by placing the power supply at the bottom of the case and mounting the hard drives pointed out the side, but I don't think the price is worth it. For $3-400 though, I would consider buying the case on its own.

HP Blackbird & HP Firebird

I love these cases. I really want one of each. Sadly, HP isn't making either of them anymore, so if you want one you are going to have to fight for it on ebay or get one refurbished online and still pay too much for it. Hopefully in a few years the prices will drop and I'll be able to get the cases before they disappear. These cases just look great. I love the mono-pod foot that sets the cases at an angle and gets them off the ground so air can be drawn in from the bottom of the case. These cases just look good. They also feature factory water cooling and a compartmentalized cooling solution, which means the air going over the hard drives is different than the air going over the power supply which is different than the air going over the video cards and CPU. It's a good solution working its way into a lot of new cases and is a nice way to hide wires even if a case has a side panel window.

Auzentech GMC R-4 Bulldozer

If you need a case that looks like it will kick a guy in the nuts, but has to fit in your closet sized dorm room, then this is the case. It's compact. Everything about this design is meant to cut back on size. The biggest feature in this regard is the vertically mounted disk drive, which cuts a good five inches off the case length and manages to keep a little heat on the outside of the case as well. It comes in five colors; black, white, orange, red, and green. The best part though, you can buy it right now and it will only cost you $80. You will suffer a bit in expansion as it only accepts one disk drive and two hard drives, but it looks good and can fit almost anywhere.

Cooler Master HAF 932

HAF, as in "High Air Flow", and that's not a joke. The case features three 230mm fans and one 140mm fan. To get an idea of what that means, most cases will sport two or three 80-120mm fans. Cooler Master is known for their high quality cases and this case is no exception. It has plenty of room for all your drives and looks mean to boot. It comes in black with either red or blue LED fans for about $160, but Cooler Master also has limited editions of the case that will run a little more.

Cooler Master Stacker 830

This is the case I use and I love it. Sadly, it is discontinued, but you can still find it online for $200-250. It's made of aluminum and features mesh all around for increased air flow. It's another case with unassuming design, but enthusiasts recognize it and praise it for being one of the easiest cases to work with. When my parents first saw the case they commented on how big it is, but I then dismantled the case in about 20 seconds and I had them drooling. The side panels unlock with a simple switch on the back and then slide off easily. The entire motherboard tray can slide out of the case. I installed all the hardware, including the biggest CPU cooler ever and then slid the whole build back into the case no problems. I don't have the same experience with the other cases I've listed, so I'm more than a little biased, but it's easy to say that the best computer building experience you will ever have is likely to include this case.

This is the one case I told myself I would never cut a hole in and I never will. This case needs nothing to make it incredible. It already is.

NZXT Rogue

Now, it only supports a Mico-ATX motherboard, but it's purpose built for LAN parties. It even comes with a carrying strap to make it easier. It's important to note that Micro-ATX motherboards are smaller, but they aren't less capable. Dual video cards, lightning fast CPUs, DDR3 ram, four 3.5" HDDs. It's all possible. Not only that but there's room enough for up to five 120mm fans. You can buy it today for ~$120. I know that these cases are supposed to be ten that you would never want to take a dremel to, but I just had to include link to an incredible mod based on this case. That said, it's easy to call this the ultimate small form factor case.

Zalman TNN 500AF & Zalman TNN 300

I used to be into having 800 fans and every color of LED in my case. My cases were flashy and loud, but they kept my components cool. Now that I'm older, I like my cases to be a little more tasteful, understated. The Zalman TNN 500 & 300 cases are the the epitome of an understated case. TNN is for "Totally No Noise" and that's no joke. This is achieved by using the entire metal case as a giant heat sink. Heat pipes move the heat from your components to the finned side panels that act as giant passive heat sinks. The concept is genius. Sadly, its execution isn't perfect. First off, it costs $1200, which is enough to build a really killer gaming machine. It comes with an included silent 400W power supply, which is high quality, but lacks the power necessary to run ultra high end processors and video cards. It's sad really, because a case this incredible demands hardware to match. I can't imagine spending $1200 on a case and then placing $500 worth of mediocre hardware inside. You still have to marvel at the concept. It is beautiful.

The little brother of the TNN 500AF is the TNN 300. It's smaller, and only costs $800, but again the love is killed by its 350W power supply. Nonetheless, if you need a case that is completely silent, these will do the job superbly. For now, it remains an inspiration to me as a case I will try to emulate in my own builds.

Acer Predator ASG7700

This case is another one of those cases that you can only get if you buy a complete system, which means that it's overpriced. I don't care though, it's great. It's orange, my favorite color. It has a great front bezel that hinges up on top of the case to reveal vertical vents that run the entire height of the case. One of the best features of the case is four hot swappable hard drive bays in the front of the case. I should say that cases like this one can be bought alone, but they will lack the drive bays in the front and will likely not be as nice. It will be close, and you will be satisfied, but it wont quite do it like this case would. This case is also discontinued, but you can find them refurbished online for $1400, but you will get a full build and not just the case. See why you want this and not the Zalman TNN 500?

Conclusion

I love to build cases. I love to mod cases, but sometimes the manufacturers get it right and you don't have to do anything to make a case what it should be. Are these the 10 best cases ever? Did I get it wrong? Are there cases that I missed, or are these cases garbage for one reason or another? Let me know in the comments and maybe you'll see a follow up article.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Default Re: The 10 Best Computer Cases Ever

I'm sorry, but in my opinion most of those are pre-modded junk. Best cases ever made are the Antec P-180 series.

I guess all that flashy plastic just doesn't do it for me. The plainer the case the better, and the more modding potential it has.

-CollinstheClown

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

well yea thats the point of this thread. its a list of his top 10 favorite pre-mods. He states in the beginning that these are the cases he thinks are cool and in no need to mod. I agree. I love all of these cases. none I've ever seen in person, but they're all cool as hell nice write-up!

good list, i also love the thermaltake level 10, for some reason i also always liked the monarch hornet cases http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=64

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Nice list. A few of my favs are on there as well.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Nice list. Almost wish it was a poll to vote on what you agree with. Of those, the GMC R-4 Bulldozer is my Fav
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by Collinstheclown View Post
    I'm sorry, but in my opinion most of those are pre-modded junk. Best cases ever made are the Antec P-180 series.

I guess all that flashy plastic just doesn't do it for me. The plainer the case the better, and the more modding potential it has.
    Some of the cases are flashy, and others are more subdued. The CM 830 is incredible to work with, it's all aluminum, and it looks good without being flashy. I tried to make sure that every case brought something that few other case did. Whether it was vertical disk drives, or active venting, or hot swap HDD bays I wanted there to be more than flashy plastic and I think every case on the list delivers in that regard in at least some way.

Quote Originally Posted by farlo View Post
    good list, i also love the thermaltake level 10, for some reason i also always liked the monarch hornet cases http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=64
    I didn't include the Level 10 because I read some reviews about poor build quality, and at $800 everything should work perfectly. That said it is a really good looking case. I think that concept is a good one to base a mod on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Nice list. Almost wish it was a poll to vote on what you agree with. Of those, the GMC R-4 Bulldozer is my Fav
    Ask and you shall receive.

Here comes a double post. I thought I should add this video review of the Raven RV-01

I like the bulldozer and the predator cases best. The Bulldozer has a very nice feature with the unconventional optical drive bay and the Predator has some nice edgy-ness over itself (I also like the color)

I also think that a case that you mod yourself always looks better than a pre-modded case. Though these cases show that you can have a nice case without working yourself into sweat

The Stacker's near the top, no question. It's a true classic. In my mind, the Antec 900 deserves a mention as well - 'modular' front panel (read: solid column of 5.25" bays for any purpose you want) gone mainstream, with an at-the-time fresh appearance that didn't go totally overboard. The later 1200 and 902 took this a step further, arguably, with their black interiors, but the 900 was the first to get there. Collins has a point with the cleaner P180 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...