Thread: Need some vid card advice..

Default Need some vid card advice..

OK....sooo i bought two new matching Compaq Presario SR5633WM-B computers for the wife and i, and now want to do the same for our vid cards. im somewhat new to the PCI-e world and could use a bit of advice if you would...so here goes.....this is what im looking for

1. To be able to play WoW at full resolution...
    2. to NOT be radeon..
    3. to be around 50-100 bucks each...cheaper the better
    4. hoping for 512 meg, 256 bit cards...but will accept 128 bit if i have to...

other than that im not dealer specific...just hoping for a SOLID card that the wife and i can put our trust in to just do its job. any links to suggestions would ROCK as well thanks guys in advance!
    Not all who mod are modders...

Default Re: Need some vid card advice..

Im not sure about the brand but something like this..?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500083

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

No reason to go with the 9600GSO considering you can get a 9800GT for about $100 bucks through EVGA. (which has the step-up program).

The 9800GT is a cooler version of the 8800GT which are both better then the 9600GSO.

If you have to go with the 9600 series, go with the GT version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130380 + free COD game.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thrash View Post
    No reason to go with the 9600GSO considering you can get a 9800GT for about $100 bucks through EVGA. (which has the step-up program).

The 9800GT is a cooler version of the 8800GT which are both better then the 9600GSO.

If you have to go with the 9600 series, go with the GT version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130380 + free COD game.
    I recommend that card. My friend has it and is able to keep up with my 8800GTS KO SSC.

One thing everyone has seem to of forgotten is the power supply.

To run these cards you'll need a very powerful power supply. 8000-9000 GT/GTS/GTX Series Seem to require a 28A /550W minimum Power supply.

There should be a sticker on the side of the power supply. it should look like a chart. and it will have a row of voltage like +3.3V +5V +12V -3.3v -5v and so on. Under the voltages there should be a row of numbers like 32A 25A 18A and so on. What you want to look at is the amp rating of the +12v. if its 18A or below that you really want to consider getting a new powersupply.

Somewhere on there you should also see a Maximum combined watts. should say something like 400W 450W 500W and so on. If its 450W or below i'd again consider getting a new power supply.

If its under 450W and 18A you need a new power supply to even consider upgrading the video card.

You'll know you need a new power supply if it either doesnt turn on,blue screens constantly and randomly, spits outs tons of errors or runs extremely hot. you know thats just the most common symptoms but there are tons of other crazy things computers like to do when they arn't provided enough power.

but beware you really should check with a reputible dealer or call compaq themselves and ask if there Mainboard/PSU follow the ATX 2.0 standard. Some Builders like to flip the 12v rails around with the ground rails... which just like it sounds is extremely bad for a system

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Good advice.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

wow...as always i am provided with comprehensive, well thought out advice..Thanks guys!....for whatever reason...i never thought to simply call compaq! since it is 2 am, i cant call them yet but armed with this new knowledge, i will be able to make a MUCH better informed decision on video cards
    Not all who mod are modders...

Compaq says it comes with a 250watt psu.

Anodized

Well, I had an 8500gt through MSI that is anywhere from $25 and $50. When you say full resolution you mean highest resolution and everything maxed out? I just upgraded to an EVGA 9800gt and I have everything on high and the resolution is 1280x1024 and the only time my frame rates drop sub 30 is in populated towns. Otherwise the game looks very smooth, if I disable the hardware cursor I am never below 70fps even in populated towns. For whatever reason that hardware cursor uses a lot of gpu resources (but with it disabled it makes the game not sooooo great)

What's wrong with Radeon?
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

drivers suck bad -- That's whats wrong