Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Maximum Security

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Maximum Security

I did some work with SketchUp tonight. I want to dress up the radiator since it will now be hanging off the back of the case rather than be inside it. I used my Black Ice 140 radiator to make one in SketchUp. Then I used the following picture of an industrial rooftop A/C unit to design a shroud that will screw to the backside of the radiator and fit in with the overall theme of the project. I plan to make this shroud out of white styrene sheet just like I made the louver assembly for my Tempest SXR (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...d.php?p=289709) mod a while back. Enjoy the pics

The amount of awesome in this build is pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    The amount of awesome in this build is pleasing.
    thanks

Minor update.

I decided on a location for the Koolance flow meter. Theres this spot where the cables pass through and it fits nicely with a pair of 90º Bitspower fittings I got from x88x. The only problem is that pesky piece of the frame in the way. Only one thing to do...cut it out!

That's better This will be visible behind the window I put into the side panel, along with one of the protoboards from ProtoStack. I've got an idea of what to use the board for, now I just need to make it happen

I also decided to mount my Sentry 2 fan controller in this side panel rather than the front 5.25" bays. I already have experience mounting it without it's housing from my Tempest SXR mod, so this should be cake.

I measured and marked the hole, cut it out with my Dremel and filed it down nice and smooth.

Here's an idea of how it will look. All I need to do is make up some mounts for it on the inside, which should be rather easy.

Fresh Paint

Very nice....subbed

Looking Good.

OK so I had a minor setback tonight. I was cutting out the window in the side panel with my Dremel. I managed to get it about 1/2 done, and all of a sudden my Dremel started popping and crackling and shooting smoke everywhere. Damn. Now I need to pick up some steel blades for my jigsaw and try that instead. Yay

Fresh Paint

Ah, another Dremel sacrificed to the modding gods. Great work. Subbed

Update time!

I got the actuator mounted! I used a hole that was already in the case as the rear mount, and used double-sided tape for the front to get the positioning correct. I set the actuator to full close, closed the door and stuck it on. It doesn't open 90º, but it's like 88º

Once I got the position correct and verified, I drilled the side panel to mount the bracket for the actuator. This nut and bolt will not be the final parts, they're just there for temporary mounting.

I also used a jigsaw to finish cutting out the rest of the side panel, then filed it down nice and smooth. I still need to do some finish grinding and filing to get the edges nice and straight, but it's a start.

Then I mounted the plastic covers back to the side panel to stiffen it, and retried the actuator to make sure everything was 100%

And a video, of course I set the code to run the actuator full open, wait 9 seconds, then full close, repeat. The reason for 9 seconds is that it takes ~4 seconds for the actuator to fully extend or retract.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

That's what I was going with, work and house stuff prevented me from getting it finished in SketchUp.

That looks awesome! You might be able to put a block of something under the door side mount and have it extend the full 90°.