Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New WD Elements EHDD?

Default Re: New WD Elements EHDD?

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    It'll be the hard disk manufacturers standard lie. They claim 1GB is 1,000,000,000 bytes - when really it should be 1024x1024x1024 (1,073,741,824)...
    It's not a standard lie, and no 1GB is not 2^30 Bytes (or as you put it: 1024x1024x1024). 1GB = 10^9 Bytes by SI standards, and the "metric system" before that. The hard drive manufactures are using the correct units. However, just about everyone else uses the 1GB = 2^30 Bytes, which the proper unit is GiB not GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    I think its because they consider 1000MB to be 1GB where 1024MB is actually 1GB. So annoying that companies do this. I don't get how they can get away with it. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't make it true. 1GB is 1024. Should there not be a period set in stone at the end of that sentence?
    Why don't they add a few more gigabytes to even it out? Then they wouldn't have to advertise it as less. Hell, it could be a marketing point. Tired of not getting your full capacity? Then buy ours because we use the correct standard! etc etc
    They "get away with it" because they are correct. 1GB = 10^9 Bytes. Just because many people use the G prefix incorrectly does not mean that suddenly 1GM (GigaMeters) is now 2^30 Meters, that 1 GOHM is now 2^30 Ohms or that 1GB is now 2^30 Bytes. And, they won't change the numbers as it would go against standards.

The reviewers are reporting 465GB.... why does it say 500GB then?
    Well that's 465GiB which is more or less 499,289,948,200 bytes which is just shy of 500GB, though in my TI-83+ rounded down a bit and the original data is rounded as well, so it's probably a little closer, maybe even a few bytes over 500GB.

Sorry if I seem somewhat attackish on this, I just bugs me to no end when people complain about the 1GB = 10^9 thing without actually thinking. More people should complain that Microsoft, the memory companies, the processor manufactures (that 6MB cache in your C2D is 6*2^20 Bytes not 6*10^6 Bytes), and others use 1GB = 2^30 which is incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

My external drive from Oyen Digital is way better
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    My external drive from Oyen Digital is way better
    How is that? Same amount of space but costs more? You do get that free data backup (although, you're paying more for that drive compared to the WD so its technically not free), but isn't it technically free anyways if you just do it yourself?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

my external drive is way better! i got a caddy, and a drive, then married the two!

and I can't see the drives lasting long under sever conditions, such as transport, as it is a 2.5" laptop drive as such offerers less protection to data during transport. In a laptop yes they have better protection as the laptop casing absorbs most shocks, but a caddy offers next to no protection. Also Laptop drives externally has never and never will need power, I have an old IBM 2.5" 9mm 5200RPM drive in a caddy, drive is dated 2001, caddy is dated 2004, 34GB storage, and doesn't need an external power source, or a Y style USB lead. I have had several laptop drives die in caddy's due to them failing.

The ability to power drives from one usb port has been around for donkies, it will even power a drive on USB 1.1 (Although it does run a bit slower, about 4600RPM due to less power)

and yes MTEKK you are correct, it is just shy of 5,000,000,000 bytes, it's when the abrivation doesn't get listed correctly, there is a difference between GB, Gb and GiB
    Last edited by XcOM; 08-31-2009 at 07:21 AM.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    It'll be the hard disk manufacturers standard lie. They claim 1GB is 1,000,000,000 bytes - when really it should be 1024x1024x1024 (1,073,741,824)...
    In 2007 Seagate was offering a refund for false advertising in regards to the storage capacity.

Anyone who bought a Seagate hard drive in the US between 22 March 2001 and 26 September 2007 could be entitled to a five per cent discount on future Seagate products or free backup software.

The settlement is the result of a US class action suit. The case alleges that
    Seagate sold drives with seven per cent less storage than customers expected.

The case hinges on the precise definition of a gigabyte. The plaintiff alleges that Seagate sold drives using the digital definition of a gigabyte - so 1 GB = 1 billion bytes. This is misleading, the plaintiffs claim, because computer operating systems typically report hard drive capacity using a binary definition of GB whereby 1 GB = 1, 073, 741, 824 bytes.

Although Seagate continues to deny all charges, it has agreed to settle the case. So anyone who bought a retail Seagate hard drive in the US can claim a five per cent discount on the price they paid.

Anyway, I had ordered a total of 14 of them within that time frame.
    They sent me some software to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticos View Post
    Anyway, I had ordered a total of 14 of them within that time frame. They sent me some software to make up for it.
    Yeah, Western Digital had the same thing happen at about the same time frame. And, they did the same thing, they sent everyone who registered their drive some software. I believe it was the same law firm that went after Seagate and Western Digital, but both cases really did not have merit (hard drive manufactures can't be held liable for errors in the operating system).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

How is that? Same amount of space but costs more? You do get that free data backup (although, you're paying more for that drive compared to the WD so its technically not free), but isn't it technically free anyways if you just do it yourself?
    I trust WD as far as I can throw my car. I've seen waaaaay to many of their external drives fail
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I trust WD as far as I can throw my car. I've seen waaaaay to many of their external drives fail
    I'll personally add to that. The My Books or any variation of them are freaking horrid. I've had so many freaking problems with them and they CONSTANTLY cause my computer to literally FREEZE up just so they can start up. Its BS and I can't wait until I get a new passport to replace it.

I've never had an issue with the Passport series and its been through hell and back. Its even falling apart because its constantly getting thrown around. Its about 2 years old by the way. So in 2 years without taking care of it at all, its finally coming apart BUT it still works like a champ.

However, my best friend just bought a new one and it died somehow on his way over to Afghanistan. Maybe they just weren't careful with his luggage or something, but I've never had that problem, so...

I think its like all drives. Some people swear by Seagate, but personally I've had a bad experience with them. Some people swear by WD, like me, but others, like you, have had bad experiences with them. At the end of the day, the customer reviews speak the loudest.

By the way, how does your external drive feel? It looks sturdy and well built, if not a bit dull. But... who cares about aesthetics when you're a modder! :p

The WD Passports do have a bit of flex to them, not much, but you can tell if you try to tell that the plastic is kind of thin and flimsy and its only as sturdy as it is because of its small size. That's part reason why I'm liking these new Elements drives, they look pretty well built but looks can be misleading so I can't wait to get my hands on one and see more user reviews.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Everything I've heard (including my own limited experience) says that WD's drives are bulletproof. However, I've heard very few good words about the external enclosures that house their drives. Just get the bare drive and stick it in an aftermarket enclosure, profit.

As for power: most external 2.5"-drive-based hard drives have never needed more than USB power. The larger 3.5"-based external drives require an external power source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Even better... MAKE your own enclosure! I'm thinking 2mm-3mm Aluminum.

The one problem with that though is that you have to have an external power source.

Now that I think about it, since my WD case is going poo on me... maybe I'll make a new case for it once I get some income coming in. Its only 80GB, but its a good reliable drive...