Thread: Howdy

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Howdy

Hey all

Thought I would drop back in and see how everyone is going.

I like the site re-design but the site seems pretty quiet. I guess the proliferation of nice looking cases from the big vendors has made the urge to mod decrease. Makes me nostalgic for the old days of Doom3 case mod.

Also shooting the breeze with with Bucko (rip). Will never ride a motorbike after what happened.

I also over the years fell out of touch with Elenril but I know she is doing well.

Anyway I will check back to see if any of the old crew are still here over the next few days.
    Need a sig

Default Re: Howdy

I'm still here, but I'm doing a two year master's degree in architecture in one year, so I'm much too busy to really work on much of anything. Still, I have some relatively recent stuff that I've been working on that you could check out.

I think the bad economy is also contributing to a lack of modding. If there were better jobs and more money, I'd be all over modding again. There's still a lot the big manufacturers fall short in doing, and a lot of creative expression I'd like to do through computer building, but it'll be a little while yet before I get to do any of it.

There are also a lot of regulars that are still here, but we all tend to be lurkers. I think this site attracts people that are a little more quiet.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I agree with d_stilgar on a couple of points. There is definitely still a lot of stuff that most cases fall short on, so there is plenty of opportunity for modding still. I have yet to see a case with lights around the back panel to make things easier to plug in (and that's just a functional example, let alone any mods about aesthetic changes). Money is tight for most I think, a lot of the really high end custom type builds have sponsorship or a business related drive behind them.

Personally, my issue is finding time among the work on projects to actually post them. I've gone from being a poor student without a reliable source of income to actually having time and money to work on things. Nothing extravagant really as I still live in a student-esque apartment but I'm keeping happy with hand tools for the time being.

The site was down for an extended period over the summer which I think also contributed to it seeming quieter now. As people start to trickle back I hope things pick up some.
    TheMainMan

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I think the bad economy is also contributing to a lack of modding. If there were better jobs and more money, I'd be all over modding again. There's still a lot the big manufacturers fall short in doing, and a lot of creative expression I'd like to do through computer building, but it'll be a little while yet before I get to do any of it.
    I suspect this is playing a larger part especially the economic situation in the US.

Also I hate to say it but for day to day web use people are going to tablets rather than PC's. I would not be surprised if the market share of desktop PC's are down.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post

The site was down for an extended period over the summer which I think also contributed to it seeming quieter now. As people start to trickle back I hope things pick up some.
    Damm thats bad to hear. Paul if you are having hosting trouble let us know and I can help you out.
    Need a sig

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

I'm still here.

My Vento 3600 is still in pieces though, the factory that gave me access to the tooling shed closed down last year and it left me sorta salty about the whole mod.

You'd also be hilariously surprised to see what i look like now.

i was kinda wondering what happened with the site myself... feels like a ghost town in here. havent stopped modding up here in canada.... just finished a PC in a G5 powermac..
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I remember Bucko. He was a good guy. This forum has evolved over the years, but still think it is one of the best.

I think that d_stilgar it right about the economy slump has made modding decline. Lots of things are contributing to the decline of computer case modding. High speed internet has made fewer LAN parties where some folks would show off modded machines. Personal Computers are also evolving into mostly mobile devices.

I just painted a beige case from 1999 to put my old PC hardware in to give to my brother. I have a new respect for folks who can make metal surfaces look nice with sandpaper and a spray can.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xpirate View Post
    I have a new respect for folks who can make metal surfaces look nice with sandpaper and a spray can.
    Takes talent! if you can spray well with a can, you can shoot with a gun like a pro.