Thread: Paracord

Default Paracord

Anyone have any experience with Paracord? Is it easy to work with? Is there anything that needs to be pulled out of the center of it, or is it designed like regular sleeving? There are new colors getting released almost daily it seems, and it looks to be far cheaper than MDPC stuff. Need to order some soon for my daughters birthday present, so time is of the essence.

ATX Mental Case RogueOpportunist's Avatar

Default Re: Paracord

For the most part paracord is made of an exterior sheath covering a series of strands that make up the cord, it can be pulled apart pretty easily if all you wanted was the sleeving. At first glance you might have some issues with the size though and things like the MB connector wouldn't all fit into a single paracord sleeve.

that is the weirdest birthday present ever

Lol. We are repurposinng one of our old cases for a pc for her. Includes paint, window, andsleeving. I've heard of people using paracord and just wanted to know how hard it is to work with.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I bought some from Amazon and made a few key fobs, zipper pulls, and lanyards with it. It is pretty easy to do most of the stuff that you can find instructions on how to do.

All you need is a cigarette lighter, scissors, and Google to make stuff with it. The lighter will keep the ends of the cord from fraying after you cut it. Do a search on "paracord projects" and you will find lots of stuff.

I want to use it for sleeving a PSU. I just need to know if it has elastic in the center that needs to be pulled out, or if it is hollow. Thanks!

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone do that on this forum. All that needs to be done for that is to cut ends of the cord and take the inner nylon strands out of it. when you cut both of the ends, the inner strands are quite easy to pull out.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I just ordered 100 feet each of orange, green and black paracord specifically for sleeving - the stuff I'm getting has (I believe) 7 strands of nylon in the middle which you have to remove, leaving the outer sleeve....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by Xpirate View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone do that on this forum.
    550 is a little thin and not as easy to use as regular sleeving but looks good as something different. And yes the core pulls out fairly easily.

It certainly comes in enough colors and is cheap.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

After just using this I honestly don't know why I didn't start using it earlier. They hardest part is getting the ATX pins out of the connectors. Other than that its super easy and looks fantastic.