Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TBCS 5TB club

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: TBCS 5TB club

Yey! I am late but finally able to join the club. 6.75tb usable + a 160gb not shown due to lack of motherboard connections. Just added the 2x 2tb

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Heheh, nice! Welcome to the club.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Right now I'm halfway thru a space upgrade. I'm replacing two of the smallest drives (500's) with a pair of nice new 2TB drives. Next drive upgrade will take me over 10TB heh.

Actually I'm kinda pleased with the way this is working out - I "only" have 10 SATA connections in the server, and they're all used so I now have to take out a drive and replace it with a larger one to upgrade. A very positive side effect to this is that I'm removing the oldest drives most of the time, as I've always bought the drive with the lowest cost/mb for the new one, so as a bonus, I'm removing the oldest drive in the server each time I upgrade.

ASSUMING a relatively even MBTF, every time I put in a new drive, I improve the odds of my data remaining safe heh....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Heheh, nice. I'm actually still sitting at 6.8TB on mine, with 1.8TB still free. Haven't been filling it up nearly as much in the last year or so as I did before. It is very nice though, to know that I have plenty of space no matter what I want to do.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

My biggest problem now is that I have to remember to add a new drive while I still have enough free space to safely remove the smaller drive - I almost missed it today as I only had 6GB left after removing the first 500gb drive

The next problem is going to be one of diminishing returns - after this swapout today, the smallest drive left in the server other than the OS drive is going to be (I think) 750gb - swapping that out for a 2tb is going to mean I "only" get 1.2tb extra from the swap. I may have to end up looking at either deleting stuff (shudder) or go with a full system upgrade to properly support 3tb+ drives

EDIT: Never mind lol - a quick check and I still have 2 500's left, then 3 750's. By putting 2TB drives in place of those will give me 10TB in place of 3.25TB so still a decent improvement.
    Last edited by slaveofconvention; 08-24-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Very Nice dude. I will be ordering a 2 or 4 more 2TB drives for my server once it gets closer to completion. Then I am an official member with a single PC. Right now I have over 5TB with all PC's combined.

Over 3 hours for the second 500gb drive to be removed. I was hoping it'd be quicker than the previous one as there was so much free space to play with. The reason it took longer, I can only assume, was that it was 99% full whereas the first one was "only" 78% full....

Should hopefully keep me going for a while lol....

On another note, this whole advertised vs formatted capacity is really starting to bite. The server contains 3x2tb, 1x1tb, 3x0.75tb, 2x0.5tb and 1x0.32tb drives for an advertised total of 10.57tb and formatted, I have 9.62tb - that's almost 1tb lost to marketing!!! lol

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

God I can't wait to start using WHS....

Eh, I like my method better.
    --Benjamin Franklin