Thread: Nothing huge, just a little cable clean-up

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Nothing huge, just a little cable clean-up

So, I've had my current setup for about 3 years and I've never bothered with cable organization. I've got an 850W PSU with about a million connectors on it and when i built this rig I just kind of ziptied them in a bundle and let them dangle. It looked absolutely terrible:

no doubt it probably impeded airflow too, though the CM Stacker 830 is a really free-flowing case (considering all six sides of it have mesh on them). Regardless, it looked crap.

So I cut the ties, opened the bundle, hid three of the wires behind the PSU itself shoved between the PSU and the mounting rail, ran the molex and SATA power ones that I needed behind the motherboard tray and through a small crack in the frame, and then took the remaining two bundles of wires and ziptied them in to the uppermost 5.25" bay out of the way.

I still need to clip the ties and everything, but for a quick 20 minute job it looks tons better:

all this in preparation to take off the 4-fan-holder-side-panel thing, and take off the mesh from the side panel, and see about making a plexi window for it and throwing some lights in there.

edit\\

also when I go back in there I plan on changing out the IDE cable for something a little better looking, plus color matching the IDE and both SATA cables so that it doesn't look disorganized. and of course doing a little more cable management. I plan on adding a few LED fans and maybe a dual cathode kit on a rocker switch.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Re: Nothing huge, just a little cable clean-up

LED light kits are where the gangsters at these days.

CCFL is soOOO 2004.

= p

Looks much better. Good job!

A $1.50 for some black RIT dye and some zip ties would finish it off nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    LED light kits are where the gangsters at these days.

CCFL is soOOO 2004.

= p
    Seriously, CCFLs suck. needing an inverter, being unable to extend the wire leads or switch the cathode itself, the risk of explosion, etc... I really hope this LED bar turns out to be bright enough, if it is I plan on purchasing more for this pc and future mods. The Stacker 830 has a ton of room in it and plenty of places to shove LED bars. It would be neat to be able to make this thing shine really bright with the flick of a few switches...

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    Looks much better. Good job!

A $1.50 for some black RIT dye and some zip ties would finish it off nicely.
    what's the RIT dye for?

I can get it for 90c at my work, hooray discounts!

Also there are cable ties, but they're all hidden. the SATA and IDE cables are getting redone as soon as my box from Xoxide shows up.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

I use it in this thread. It is a fabric dye, but works very well on computer cables. I haven't had a single issue since I did that, and the cables look so much nicer, but without the added expense of extensions or sleeving.

Nice, I'll have to look in to that. I was actually thinking about resleeving the cables but since the PSU isn't modular it'd be a pain in the ass. I may or may not actually do that but it's a neat idea for sure and looks a lot cleaner.