Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a waste :(

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

Default What a waste :(

My brother-in-law works at a school about 2 hours drive away from me. He phoned me up and said that the school was throwing out all their old computers and getting new ones. They had phoned up the computer recyclers but they wanted money to pick them all up so the school was just going to dump them in the bin.

He asked me if I wanted one and I told him to get as many as he could. Apparently he's gotten me 4 cases because there were so many.

I'm not sure what they are yet or how complete they are but he said he got ones that looked the most complete as some people had started pulling bits off them. Aparently ones a tower case the other 3 are desktop ones.

I wish I could have gotten down there! I would have filled my car right up heh! Not sure where I'll put them but I'm sure I'll find uses for them.
    Visit my website: http://djcassar.com
    Scratch build: The Cube
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: What a waste :(

I don't know what the funding situation for schools looks like where you are, but it's gotten so bad here in CA that we're actually asking local musicians to perform a concert so we can raise some dosh. We have stacks and stacks of old computers waiting in case current ones break, because we can't afford new ones.

Either way, that's pretty wasteful. They could have donated the computers to local charities or something if they were hell bent on getting rid of them.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

I agree it would have been better to give them to charity, but at least they are letting you have a couple. I hate when business', schools, organizations, etc. throw stuff out but refuse to let you take it off their hands for free. If they're just gonna toss it, no reason to make someone pay for it.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Local businesses also donate money to schools, and if the school decides to just give computers away instead of letting the businesses sell computers, that's bad for the school too. Also, it could just be that it isn't worth the time or effort to try and give them away. It usually gets down to who you know when it comes to cool stuff like this. Finally, we don't even know what they are. They could be PIIs and PIIIs that have been in storage for a long time.

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

d_stilgar pretty much summed it up. I'm still not sure what the computers are but apparently they did ring around to a few places and nobody seemed to want them.

After the fifth or six call it's usually a case of "I've wasted enough time".

I'm not too concerned about the processing power but if I can use the case or steal some of the cables and connectors then i'm happy.
    Visit my website: http://djcassar.com
    Scratch build: The Cube
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

i got my first UPS from my school for free, BLODDY heavy, had to carry it all the way home.

I rem putting 6 indutural UPS backup systems in the boot of my dad's volvo (With stiffened rear suspension) and it bottomed out!!

My old school used to give there old machines to students that couldn't afford them, the mum/dad would have to apply for one and the reason why, and then they would give them to the most deserving. any left over got offered to students, any after that they got given to the community (Church, community centers, charity ect)

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I adopted 25 or so partial systems from my old school when they switched over to thin clients. Most of 'em fit right into Mum's New Beetle, though I had to walk home 'cos the front seat was taken up, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Here's a nation wide business idea, or a nation wide NPO: Buy and sell used PC's from schools (or government organizations). Obviously plenty of school districts are getting rid of boxes, and obviously plenty of school districts still need machines. You could take and sell as is; take em, inventory the parts, build hybrids from the parts and sell em; or install some Linux distro on them all and preach the joys of linux applications in government environments.

Either way you'll probably make a lot of money or do a lot of good for some school districts.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    Here's a nation wide business idea, or a nation wide NPO: Buy and sell used PC's from schools (or government organizations). Obviously plenty of school districts are getting rid of boxes, and obviously plenty of school districts still need machines. You could take and sell as is; take em, inventory the parts, build hybrids from the parts and sell em; or install some Linux distro on them all and preach the joys of linux applications in government environments.

Either way you'll probably make a lot of money or do a lot of good for some school districts.
    I had a similar idea years ago were i thought it would be cool to start a non profit and collect donated computers and give them to needy families either for free or at minimal charge. I never did anything with it though. Not that i'm old enough to understand the complexities of running a business anyway.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    I had a similar idea years ago were i thought it would be cool to start a non profit and collect donated computers and give them to needy families either for free or at minimal charge. I never did anything with it though. Not that i'm old enough to understand the complexities of running a business anyway.
    Here's an idea for a nationwide business or nation wide NPO: Create an organization that collects business and NPO ideas from people who don't have the means or ability to start the business themselves. If you want the money, you can make it like eBay and people bid on starting the business with your proposed business model, and you can sell them the domain name too. If you want an NPO, make it like Craigslist. Call it Idealist! We'll start the bidding at $100 + 20% share of company profit.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!