Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of free cases and more ideas for mods and a question about PS2 in a PC case.

Austral Alien

Default Lots of free cases and more ideas for mods and a question about PS2 in a PC case.

As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I scored a few free cases over the past week to add to my growing pile of raw material and works in progress.

First up I got this Acer case last weekend. I swapped two 80mm UV Blue fans for it:

It doesn't take a full size ATX MoBo, only the shorter ones with 4 expansion slots. The tool less drive bays actually work quite well. I'm thinking of using this for my main PC as it only has the shorter MoBo. I'd cut the side mesh out and make it a window, maybe a Defyant style blowhole in the front or maybe make a whole new front.

Also included with that Acer case was 2 Aluminum brief cases, which I don't know what I'll do with. Either use the material for some sides on another case, or make a brief case PC:

Now the cases I got yesterday.
    First up an IBM Aptiva with an AMD K6 in it:

which has a door the CD drive can still open through:

It was a little dusty when I took the front off:

Then there's this DSX PC with a 486 in it:

And the insides:

Both of those cases I have no real plans for. But hey, they were free! Both also use the older style case where the tops and sides are one piece, so putting in side case fans would be a real pain. Maybe the Aptiva front door might get used for something on another case.

Next up we have an ancient Intel powered desktop PC which I haven't looked inside yet, but I know it's the oldest one and it has Windows 3.1 installed on it:

I quite like this one. It's tall enough to take full height cards in it and it has nice simple lines. I'm thinking of painting it black and making it a HTPC and sticking it in my stereo cabinet.

None of these cases is likely to have much happen on them soon as I want to finish the Mini-Rat PC before I start on another mod.

At the top of the thread I said:

add to my growing pile of raw material and works in progress.
    I wasn't lying either, my pile of works in progress and raw material is getting quite big...

I could have chucked the PC I'm using at the moment and my laptop into the picture, but I couldn't be bothered. :p

So there you have it, my latest cases and what I might possibly do with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Default Re: Lots of free cases and more ideas for mods!

Nice Loot! I'm jealous!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Nice collection you got going there! I'm gonna have to got scouting for some myself. .

Then there's this DSX PC with a 486 in it

Got one of those cases myself, haven't modded it yet though, aside from attacking the back of it with a hacksaw so I could use an AT board with an onboard PS/2 mouse port.

Yeah, you got a solid collection. I've probably got as much stuff around, but it's not nearly as nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Just curious, where do you get this stuff from exactly?

Austral Alien

Just off friends. The acer case was from a mates computer after he bought an iCute case to put the guts in.
    The other 3 came from another friend. 2 of them were sitting in his cupboard for years and one was in his Dad's cupboard for years.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Austral Alien

I am thinking of putting my PS2 in a PC case, just to give me an excuse for another case mod with more space for cooling too.
    Does anyone know if I could use a PC DVD drive in the PS2?

I've had a quick look at Google and couldn't find a definitive answer though. That and I'm slightly drunk and don't have the energy to search more deeply.

If you have any useful links for mucking around with the PS2 cooling, put in a PC case or DVD answers, post them up.

EDIT: I'm not interested in a mod chip or using illegal copies or anything that breaches TBCS rules. I simply want to use my PS2 in a PC case and possibly a PC DVD drive to make mounting it easier.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Bucko; 08-09-2007 at 11:27 AM.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

That's classified.

Default Re: Lots of free cases and more ideas for mods and a question about PS2 in a PC case.

I found some videos on taking the PS2 apart...

And in these disassembly photos, you can see that the driver circuit for the CD drive is built into the slim PS2's motherboard.

The chances of the ribbon cable from the laser from different CD drives being the same are slim to none. You'll probably be better off using the original drive.

Good luck anyway.

Default Re: Lots of free cases and more ideas for mods and a question about PS2 in a PC case.

From having taken apart a couple full-size PS2s (albeit not a slim one) it looks like, yep, it's gonna be a thousand-to-one chance, anyway. Maybe it's possible, but it looks like a LOT more trouble than it'd be worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

ps1+n64+dreamcast all in one case. DO IT.