Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Computer of the week...

Default Re: Computer of the week...

Quote Originally Posted by nil8 View Post
    Imagine the amount of work the @home folding project could do with one of those crays...sweet lord.
    I am pretty sure that there is a couple of crays working on that project but probably not the newer ones. I know that there are some sgi supercomputers involved in seti and folding projects.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by monoflap View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but what kind of operating system would you run all that gear on. Because I know Windows has problems getting just 4Gb of ram to work.
    I believe the 4gb cap is for WinXP 32bit edition. I know that windows XP 64bit can support either 8bg of 32, i forgot.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I don't think they would run windows xp on most of these machine. It would probably be some flavor of linux or windows server.

I don't think they would run windows xp on most of these machine. It would probably be some flavor of linux or windows server.
    That is correct sir! They are runing a custom smp linux kernel optimized for io and network ooperations and nothing more. They won't even let us do the install for them since they have some propritary stuff in their kernel.

Sorry I have not updated this last week. I have been swamped at work. In one project I had to get this: http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index_21UX.cfm working in windows 2003 x64.

We are being audited on monday on our install procedures for windows 2003 server x64 on dell 690's. Stupid government contractors...

After wednesday I will get some more systems up.

wow,

is there anything wrong with having a sexual attraction to servers? I love them, I'm planning to do a 99.9% uptime for a year project with two servers (one will be a backup server) so i can be a poonage seeder on bittorrent when i get adsl2+ (12mbit down, 1mbit up, only download counts towards cap)

Quote Originally Posted by fragged View Post
    wow,

is there anything wrong with having a sexual attraction to servers? I love them, I'm planning to do a 99.9% uptime for a year project with two servers (one will be a backup server) so i can be a poonage seeder on bittorrent when i get adsl2+ (12mbit down, 1mbit up, only download counts towards cap)
    Hehe isn't that what makes us geeks?

My O2 at home has a 99.9% uptime for the last year and a half. Lost power twice in the last year and that is the only time it has gone offline. (hey I live in the mountains so twice in one year is is an improvement!)

Don't you have your systems on UPS?

Those lcd tablets are freaking sleek.
    Yes both of my important systems at home are on a ups, but the power went out for 3 days. I only use my generator when the food in the freezer starts melting...

I am still drooling over that lcd tablet. When I saw it come in for testing I thought "Oh, nice, but I bet the display sucks". I was wrong. that display looks as good as _any_ 21" flat panel I have ever seen. I just wish I had enough time to load a couple of games on the system to see how it would work in say doom. Touch the baddie with the pen and your guns blaze perfectly on target.

I was able to test it with photoshop and it was amazing the control over the details I had. The company that gets the tablet is testing it for a new product they will be introducing. They sell a product called "CyberKnife" Which is a robotic radiosurgury operating system used for removing tumors, growths or any intricate surgury that can be automated. They link the mri into the software, design the operating procedure, test it extensively then operate on the paitent. The tablet will be used to manipulate the mri images and to design the operation.

http://www.accuray.com/

Ok, 3 days I understand. The way you made it sound it was a few minutes.

That better be a nice display for its pricetag.

Medical technology is a rapidly growing field and rather sweet to see.
    I've worked for a couple of hospitals and helped install 36" touchscreens in the surgery rooms for documentation. It was rather impressive. Except suiting up and having to schedule around all the surgeries.

Sorry for the lack of updates here. I have been _really_ busy at work and hope to have another system up early next week. Takes time to tear some of these systems apart and put them back together.

Please Stand By...