Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the low low price of $49.97

Default Re: For the low low price of $49.97

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    If you were to ask me to rate power tools, my list would be small:

1. DeWalt
    2. Ryobi
    3. Craftsman

Everything else, in my book, is junk. I'll use it in a pinch if I have to, but I'd much rather have the proper tool for the job at hand.

Yes, you can build a house with a clawhammer and a rip saw, but you'll get it done alot faster with power tools!
    Hummm you missed some really big and great tool manufactures out there. DeWalt, Delta, and PorterCable are now owned by one corp. What was that name now? Oh ya Black and Decker...... Then there is Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita and the list goes on.

Porter cable is the only manufacturer that I use when it comes to routers. I have a Delta contractor saw, Stop Saw (just purchased), DeWalt scroll saw, Craftsman scroll saw, DeWalt Planer, General Contractor jointer, Delta drill press, Jet band saw, Craftsman Laser Trac circular saw, DeWalt belt sander, Porter Cable orbit sander, Porter Cable palm sander, Craftsman palm sander, Porter Cable corded drill, DeWalt 14.4 cordless drill, Jessem router table lift, Porter Cable 7815 3.25 hp router, (in fact I have 5 routers, 3 of em Porter Cable, 1 Craftsman older one, 1 Hitachi (gift)). I have a lot more then I listed but I wanted to show you missed some really big hitters (like Porter Cable) that produce some great tools and are not junk. Ryobi is a manufaturer in USA and UK with factories in China, Japan and Ireland.

My big 5 are
    DeWalt
    Porter Cable
    Milwaukee
    Delta
    Stop Saw
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by Tale Gunner View Post

My big 5 are
    DeWalt
    Porter Cable
    Milwaukee
    Delta
    Stop Saw
    Thank you gunner for clearing this up, you sound like someone who has worked in the carpentry field, or something close, by the way you choose your tools. My father has been a carpenter for over 30 years, and I have trained under him for 5 now. he would never, ever touch anything made by ryobi. However, he did say himself that "if you are someone new to the field, or you just need some basic power tools, the ryobi should be good for you". I think the only amount of tools you tie us on is routers, everything else we have doubles or tipples of. I agree with your choice of routers also, we own 3-4 porter-cable routers and a dewalt one. bosche is also a completely under rated brand, they make amazing impact guns. I personally don’t like ryobi (many bad experiences with their POS 14v drills (borrowed from sub-trades)) but I think that they would do a fine job for a part-time modder.
    i am the "starving artist" of the modding world

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot9000 View Post
    Thank you gunner for clearing this up, you sound like someone who has worked in the carpentry field, or something close, by the way you choose your tools. My father has been a carpenter for over 30 years, and I have trained under him for 5 now. he would never, ever touch anything made by ryobi. However, he did say himself that "if you are someone new to the field, or you just need some basic power tools, the ryobi should be good for you". I think the only amount of tools you tie us on is routers, everything else we have doubles or tipples of. I agree with your choice of routers also, we own 3-4 porter-cable routers and a dewalt one. bosche is also a completely under rated brand, they make amazing impact guns. I personally don’t like ryobi (many bad experiences with their POS 14v drills (borrowed from sub-trades)) but I think that they would do a fine job for a part-time modder.
    Shoot I forgot my DeWalt plunging router LOL Yes I have a great deal (35 years) of experience on power tools. Check out the featured links and see my Cherry wood case
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

you've all been forgetting the 1 tool that i love: the Paslode Impuse nailgun.
    Man i love those things.......
    Not too great for modding though, believe me, i've tried!

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    Not too great for modding though, believe me, i've tried!
    /* visions of a hedgehog-like computer case, punched through with many thousands upon thousands of nails. */

Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

In general ryobi is good for around the house stuff. Say your just going to do some DIY projects like installing this or that, or drywall and stuff, Ryobi is good for the price. But the moment you go into everyday/heavy use, I say step up to Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Porter Cable, something with alittle more ommph.

As far as craftsman power tools go, I would say they fall into the upper level of home use. I wouldn't go with them for heavy usage, but if you want something with alittle more power for around the house and garage work, then Craftsman is for you. There Craftsman Professional line is also pretty nice, but I would still rather have a Milwaukee power drill than a Craftsman Professional drill.

And then theres always the cheap tools from Chicago Electric for the modder on no budget. Work ok for a few times, but you get what you pay for.

OH, I'm not sure if its a good thing, but my Ryobi power drill smells like butter flavored popcorn when I use it...only burnt buttered popcorn. Runs well, and everything looks good, but smells like sh!t.

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

What i think is so funny is yall do realize that black and decker makes Dewalt right ?
    Im not saying that the Dewalt line isnt a better product or anything .
    ryobi and Craftsman or made at the same factory by the same company .

I have all ryobi cordless tools and a dewalts kit that has the same tools my ryobi kit does is $499 compared to $159 ,and if you buy two extra batteries .
    The price diffrence is $478 for dewalt over ryobi and i have used dewalt there no where near that much better but just one mans opinion you know what they say everybody has got them .

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_Scope_99 View Post
    What i think is so funny is yall do realize that black and decker makes Dewalt right ?
    Im not saying that the Dewalt line isnt a better product or anything .
    ryobi and Craftsman or made at the same factory by the same company .

I have all ryobi cordless tools and a dewalts kit that has the same tools my ryobi kit does is $499 compared to $159 ,and if you buy two extra batteries .
    The price diffrence is $478 for dewalt over ryobi and i have used dewalt there no where near that much better but just one mans opinion you know what they say everybody has got them .
    Gee I think thats what I said in my post earlier (6/13/2007). And although B&D owns DeWalt and Porter Cable you should do some research into the purchase of those companies befor you start spreading fear. The requirement of the purchase was to MAINTAIN the same design engineers to keep the same quality of the equipment. So I would never fear making the purchase of these two MAJOR players. As for Ryobi, I have one of their hammer drills. It has some drawbacks but I don't use it in my professional career. Ryobi has been rated for medium use by the reviews that I follow.