Thread: Building 3D fan grills:

Fresh Paint
    Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty...

Default Building 3D fan grills:

While browsing mnpctech.com, I found some great looking grills at a not so great looking price:

http://www.mnpctech.com/mnpctechblowhole.html

So I sat down in AutoCAD for about a half-hour, and dreamed up a rather complex 2-fan grill. I was thinking of cutting the top and bottom out of sheet metal, then cutting out all of the faces on the sides and attaching them with who knows what. In this fashion I would build a 3D fan grill that would appear to be made out of chrome, but it is actually composed of individual faces put together.

For anyone who understands that, what could I use to "glue" these faces together? I was thinking soldering them... but do you guys have any suggestions?

I'll post the AutoCAD design later if I can... then you may have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Default Re: Building 3D fan grills:

looks awesome, you can find the hex mesh at hardware stores and ive seen them on websites. i would cut the mesh, cut the 2 circles out of several plates of steel/hard compound, and put them together with screws or gorilla glue
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Dude...totally!

i dont think you want to solder that. depending on what you want as a final product, chromed metal i would assume, there should be a range of differant types of epoxy available at your local hardware store to hold the bits together. although, it would look like a real world representation of a 3D rendered model, hollow on the inside. unless you have a lot of heavy machinery laying around, i dont, you wont be getting high quality custom machined grills any time soon. but what is that grill theyre selling? looks like a ring of metal and some mesh. go get some mesh and a busted transmission from a Yugo and grab a few circle shaped things outta that, polish them up, and then you have a custom industrial-style fan grill. depending on how plentiful P.O.S. Yugos are around your area, and how "ghetto" you wish it to appear, this could take minimal effort.

Case Wizard

If your design is complex, maybe this guide will help you out.

http://www.gruntville.com/howtos/customgrills/index.php

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote View Post
    If your design is complex, maybe this guide will help you out.

http://www.gruntville.com/howtos/customgrills/index.php
    lol

You found the link before me!

:p
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Fresh Paint
    Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty...

This should give you a better idea:

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...rilldesign.jpg

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...t=Fangrill.jpg

That should help you understand better. Is there any kind of adhesive I could use for the side faces?
    Last edited by ultraturtle0; 11-30-2006 at 09:59 PM. Reason: And............ the pictures didn't come up. Dang.