Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: So who's still around from the old days (pre 2010) ?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: So who's still around from the old days (pre 2010) ?

@Airbozo: I've been doing some work with the current generation NUCs for a personal project, so I'd be interested to see what you come up with. Really cool little devices, but not much in the way of aftermarket cases yet.

@xpirate: Type-C and USB 3.1 will definitely be awesome, but for the majority of docking use-cases, USB 3.0 will honestly probably be plenty. I have a tablet with a USB 3.0 A connector, and have briefly experimented with "docking" it with a USB 3.0 dual-video + gigabit ethernet adapter I have. As far as I have experienced, it "just worked". The 'alternate mode' capability in USB 3.1 to, say, pass PCIe traffic, may well prove to be a game changer, but IMO, the answer lies less in increasing the size of the pipe between the docking device and the peripherals, but in minimizing the data passed between the two. A great example of this is is AIRTAME, but I think the concept can be equally well applied to all components.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    the majority of docking use-cases, USB 3.0 will honestly probably be plenty.
    True, but the type C will also deliver 100 watts. I hope that this finally brings us a real docking port that does not require any more than a single cable. A USB 3.0 dock still requires the laptop to be plugged in.

It's all good. I'm looking forward to the future of computing.

x88x: I will let you see any of the idea's that come out of this project. Kind of on hold right now, but I intend to pick it back up soon. Right now I have setup the ones I have with a slightly modified version of DRBL/Clonezilla. I send out a NUC to a customer, they plug the network port into their server, PXE boot and the NUC captures the image that I use in my labs for their system builds. Over the next few months I intend to get it down to a seamless plug and play to remove any user time (right now there is about an hour worth of work total for both ends (capture and deploy)).
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Wow, nicely done video.

Not to give you a reason to stay away from desktops, but I've had wonderful results with assorted of the current crop of USB 3.0 DisplayLink products. I've used both of these[1][2] dual-head adapters, and had great results with both. No lag or anything. Drivers have some occasional quirks, but overall, unless you're needing to do anything more graphics intensive than desktop work and displaying video, these things should work great.

That being said, I do still have a desktop myself. Custom miniITX build in an NCASE M1.

[1] http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5OAT88
    [2] http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZB328U

Oops, I disappear for a few weeks and someone says something, go figure :-P.

That's a cool little gizmo for displaying multiple monitors. My problem is horsepower. Right now I'm using a late model Lenovo T430 (the old IBM-style before then went all Ultrabook) with an i5-3360, 8 GB of RAM, and Nvidia NVS 5400M that is doing it's best to keep up with my dual 1920x1200 monitors. I have one of the sweet docks that lets me drop my laptop in and pop it out at my desk.

I could actually add a third using the built in mini-displayport on my laptop but it struggles with multiple (read: way more than any sane person) tabs open. I work from home so this is my everything laptop and it's not uncommon to have 30-50 tabs during the day with various profiles, social networks, documents...etc pulled up.

I'm also doing more and more video production stuff. I'm going to give a run at doing some tech review type stuff for YouTube so a powerful video editing machine is something I need to put on my wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    I'm using a late model Lenovo T430 (the old IBM-style before then went all Ultrabook) with an i5-3360, 8 GB of RAM, and Nvidia NVS 5400M that is doing it's best to keep up with my dual 1920x1200 monitors. I have one of the sweet docks that lets me drop my laptop in and pop it out at my desk.
    I've got the same laptop, but without the Nvidia graphics. I find that running the turbo boost makes a massive difference in performance; I'm often running a couple of VM's on mine during the day while doing all my day to day stuff, and have no trouble with performance. Then again, I'm only running 2 screens, as it cant' do more than that.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by airbozo View Post
    x88x: I will let you see any of the idea's that come out of this project. Kind of on hold right now, but i intend to pick it back up soon. Right now i have setup the ones i have with a slightly modified version of drbl/clonezilla. I send out a nuc to a customer, they plug the network port into their server, pxe boot and the nuc captures the image that i use in my labs for their system builds. Over the next few months i intend to get it down to a seamless plug and play to remove any user time (right now there is about an hour worth of work total for both ends (capture and deploy)).
    cool.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I came by to ask a question and soon realized that the site has met its tragic demise. I saw your post and thought i should respond for nostalgic reasons.

What forum is the hot spot these days?

Anyway, its been a blast and i had a ton of fun during my time here. Thanks Paul, thanks everyone.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

I've seen some of the guys over at bit-tech. I still think there are a fair number of us who stick around here (I still do a daily lurk) and post when there's something interesting going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I've got the same laptop, but without the Nvidia graphics. I find that running the turbo boost makes a massive difference in performance; I'm often running a couple of VM's on mine during the day while doing all my day to day stuff, and have no trouble with performance. Then again, I'm only running 2 screens, as it cant' do more than that.
    I THINK it can actually support 3 at once. I have think you have to use the dock for 2 DVI monitors, and then the mini-displayport on the side by the USB 3.0 hub. Supposedly it should run on all 3. However I was hitting 96 degrees C the other day so I need to figure out what's up with the cooling. I've blown the heatsink out but it hasn't helped. I think I'm going to take it apart and replace the thermal paste with something better.

Quote Originally Posted by CanaBalistic View Post
    I came by to ask a question and soon realized that the site has met its tragic demise. I saw your post and thought i should respond for nostalgic reasons.

What forum is the hot spot these days?

Anyway, its been a blast and i had a ton of fun during my time here. Thanks Paul, thanks everyone.

I've been doing the same. Looks like Bit-Tech has a pretty active community. Also, Overclock.net has a pretty big mod community from the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post

I've been doing the same. Looks like Bit-Tech has a pretty active community. Also, Overclock.net has a pretty big mod community from the looks of it.
    Not a bad site overall, but too many kids with bad whiny attitudes that like to argue and then complain to the mods when their feelings get hurt. The rules for getting infractions are pretty random too. Can't so much as burp on that site without getting a writeup. I stopped frequenting that site after getting an infraction for telling some kid he was wrong about something. I wasn't even rude about it.

I blame T-ball.

We would love to revive TBCS and are open to any and all suggestions to grow the site. I've even got some companies willing to donate prizes and in one case a custom designed case. Winning design would get their chassis built.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...