Thread: Cooling Screws

Default Cooling Screws

Good Afternoon,
    I have the Thermaltake Armour Case (not the Armour+) It is a neat case and I would like to avoid an upgrade. But I cannot attach any Cooling Fans because the standard Fan Screw's do not fit the holes provided. They are really small hole's, Are there alternative Cooling Fan Screw's available that I can use to attach my Case Fan's?

Also, I am running two 9600gtx 1gig Ddr3 Asus GPU's, But I have having some severe instability issue's, I have rolled back the driver's, removed/cleaned & reapplyed the Liquid Silver Compound, but still am suffering stability issue's, Should I upgrade to newer Gpu's? or is there something I can do to improve the stability of my current Video Card's?

If any detail's are needed, Please let me know and I will get them

Thank you for your time and help

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Cooling Screws

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the fan screws. If you can get a picture of the issue, that would help. Most fans are mounted with larger diameter screws, that are designed to cut threads into the fan body.

As for the GPUs, how long have you had stability issues? What kind of stability issues? Have you done any testing to confirm that they are actually the source of the problem?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

You can try rubber fan rivets. They have other fan mounting hardware here.

Download and install gpu-z or rivatuner and tell us the core temps on those cards. If they are installed in adjacent slots and air-cooled, the top card might not be able to get enough air to keep it cool. If that is the problem, a fan blowing directly on the side of them could help, or aftermarket heat-sinks, or water-cooling...(list ordered from easiest to funnest).
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Hello,
    Thank you for your help,
    The Fan Screws I found, a local shop just started selling them.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...oducts_id=4068

I have GPU-Z installed now and monitoring the two GPU's. I hope it is just a heat issue. My Case is rather old now and a Pain to use, Cannot use a side cover due to lack of cooling available. Any Good Pc Full Tower Case's available that people can recommend? I heard Lian-Li is a good brand, Any Suggestions?

Thank you for your time and help

P.S (Edit 8.02.10 - 2:19pm)
    My Primary Card is running 35% Fan Speed @ 45 Celcius
    My Secondary is running 30% Fan Speed @ 39 Celcius

Is there a tool or program etc... That I can use to change my GPU Fan Speed? Would that Temp Level be causing Problem's for Gaming? ... Example: NfS Pro Street & Grid, consistantly Flickr across the screen, with a 2min Pause every 30 second's, No error in the Window's Logs or Game Log is provided. Which is annoying, DxDiag also show's no problem's nor does the nVidia Control Panel. All seem's to be working quite nicely except for the pausing and flicking.
    Please help.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Go to the hardware store and pick up some screws and washers that fit; thermaltake includes screws and nuts that are smaller than standard holes with their fans.

edit: never mind; I just noticed the link to screws in the above post; those look good, and should serve you well.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I can see where you got your nickname from.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite KNight View Post
    I can see where you got your nickname from.
    Each time s/he does that the number counts up +1.

No, 45C for a GPU is actually really good, I'm assuming that's the idle temp though...play a game for a 15 minutes or so and report the temps then. Preferably a game that runs normally if any do. If it's getting up to 90-100C then another fan is needed. And as for controlling those fans, rivatuner can do that. You can change the rate at which the fan ramps up, or just keep the fan on at a constant rate. It's a really good program.
    Another thought is that maybe SLI is messing up stuff as I've seen games that ran better on a single card than in SLI. So try running that game out of SLI. If that doesn't fix it, try each card by itself to see if one of the cards is jacked up.

I hope something here helps. Good luck.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.