Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 really worth it?

Default Re: Windows 8 really worth it?

It's not really hate. But it is a decision to avoid hassles a year or three or ten down the road, I've had to deal with plenty of other people's broken ME/Vista problems, more than enough to make me incredibly happy my deliberately "obsolete" Windows machinery always worked perfectly. I'm sure Win8 is good, based largely on Win7 and all, but it just demonstrates that Microsoft's focus has been on optimizing elements and directions which have nothing to do with the way I actually use a computer. If I want a mobile touchscreen OS, I'll buy a toy with Android or iOS.

Maybe my "hate" is just angst at the utterly ripoff prices I paid for a couple of Win7 Ultimate editions, the same day I downloaded half a dozen free opensource linux distros. Won't fall into that trap again.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

All I have to say is this:

Windows 8 Modern interface feels exactly like Android when using a keyboard and mouse. At least, to me it does....

It isn't that I hate Win8; it's that it has SO much different things between ANY previous versions.

To be honest, it seriously reminds me of Windows 3.1, in ways I really can't describe.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

A smart approach to implement functional GUI on a device with limited display area.

A useless hindrance on a device with multiple widescreen monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    A smart approach to implement functional GUI on a device with limited display area.

A useless hindrance on a device with multiple widescreen monitors.
    Pretty much how I fell about it.

I need multiple windows open! Win8 is a multitask killer!

Tri.fecta

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

8 is a joke. Ballmer needs to be shown the door.

Once more of the casual games on steam (worms, peggle, etc) get cut over to the native linux client, I'll be ditching Windows on my workstation. The only reason it still has Win7 on it is because of the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I was reminded of Win 3.x too!

I really don't know why people prefer using only a fraction of the display area on their massive monitors. I like to fullscreen everything, I only split the display across multiple windows when I need to manipulate content between them. Few things irritate me more than when an app locks itself into some puny arbitrary little window dimensions or refuses to offer more than 5 lines at a time on drop-down lists and such. I bought three large monitors, not three dozen little phone-sized displays.

Well, not a dozen windows, but it is nice to be reading one thing, and typing it into another window.

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    8 is a joke. Ballmer needs to be shown the door.

Once more of the casual games on steam (worms, peggle, etc) get cut over to the native linux client, I'll be ditching Windows on my workstation. The only reason it still has Win7 on it is because of the games.
    Is there any reason you dislike it or do you just need something to hate all the time? Have you tried it for more then 2 weeks? The biggest thing I see people complain about is that it's different. Guess what? All technology changes! I'm not advocating that change (in this instance) is a good thing but it happens. Just because it's different is no reason to hate it outright - at least base discontent on something logical...

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I coudn't even go a whole week, much less two. I tried for about 2 hours! What a retarded pain in the ass. I've never owned an Apple machine, but did play with one for an hour or so and it made more sense than W8

In 10 years I'll be just like one of these annoying XP guys who are still using it way after 7 came out. I just hope W9, is better. So, I guess I'll at least be keeping W7 for three or four more years?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I still use XP, although admittedly not a lot over the last couple years (since Win7 runs XP stuff flawlessly). There are advantages to a Windows OS which is fully decompiled, hacked, and modded ... much better overall than the support Microsoft once provided. I can't wait until MS decides to abandon Win7.