Thread: help with reformat

Greco101

Default help with reformat

WTF.....

usually when reformatting, it will delete your pre-existing info....then reinstalls it all to make it like-new. This laptop? NOPE! I chose to install a fresh copy and it said it would delete my files (GOOD!)

The when it came to the partition screen... I clicked on the partition and it said there was a copy of xp already on it! wtf!?

should i use wipedrive 1st?

EDIT:: Got it.... tried it again and this time it gave me an option "press L" to delete everything. sweet.

I didn't know I can put a custom title Dilphat's Avatar

Default Re: help with reformat

Did you try deleting the partition and then creating a new one? or yea u can get like third party software out there. and just format the whole drive. Hope it helps.

I agree with Dilphat, I always delete the partition, create a new one and format that.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Greco101

I tried that and it wouldn't let me delete it. It got it to delete everything now though... I was wondering why it was still set at a high resolution when it's supposed to default at 800x600 then realized it just did a repair.

Dammit..... it installed another copy of xp... so it's running 2 at once. fsbniuvdn I HATE DELL!

How old is your laptop?

Your laptop may have a recovery partition.....
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Greco101

It's not toooo old. I just bought it off of craigslist for 90 bucks... It's a dell inspiron 5100. I was hoping it had a recovery partition but it didn't. The cd drive didn't work so I ordered one and put it in yesterday... I talked to Dell a couple of days ago and they sent me all the recovery disks etc...

I ran wipedrive and that took about an hour or so... Now I'm formating the hdd. Everything should be a cakewalk from here on out.

One of the problems, the guy said, was the onboard sound didn't work but there were A LOT of missing files on the laptop so I'm HOPING the drivers just got messed up or something.

ahem..

http://dban.sourceforge.net
    --===**WILL IRRECOVERABLY ERASE ANY DATA ON ANY HDD**===--
    -==Use at your own risk==-

I didn't know I can put a custom title Dilphat's Avatar

Also I think Hiren's BootCd 9.2 has some software on there to format your hdd.