Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: XBOX controller mod

Default XBOX controller mod

So, I know that some of you have probably already seen or done this. I modded my xbox controller today to work off of USB and the PC. Took about 10 minutes. Pics and related article forthcoming.

Overclocked

Default Re: XBOX controller mod

wooohooo

heh EZwasnt it?
    i love micro$hits simplicity
    they try to take a USB and hide the fact that its a USB with lil bits of plastic heh
    did ya get the latest drivers???
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

You've gotta share the tips of the trade with me on that one. That'd be cool to do to the BlueXmod.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

So... does this mean you can use you XBox Controller for video games on your PC with the proper drivers?

You'll have to give us a tutorial or something! I have a few Xbox controllers that I could tinker around with. I wonder if you could do the same with wireless controllers? I have two of those two! lol But no way am I modding them! Logitech rocks when it comes to wireless.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Anodized

wait... this is a standard xbox controller... not a 360 controller? just to get things strait...

Ok.. sorry it's taken a while guys. I should have waited to post things. Anyway... as promised, here's the walk through.

What you'll need:
    1. An xbox controller. I used the stock one that came with my xbox
    2. A USB cable. You'll need the flat (male) end.
    3. Soldering skills.

So, we start by prying off the black tabs around the end of the controller. Be careful with this, you don't want to break them because they will need to be replaced. I used a small flat head screw driver to do this. After you have the tabs pryed off, you'll see a layer of protective foil. This can be removed and discarded. Under the foil layer, there will be a tab that can be pryed off to expose the underlying wires. Bend it back, and break or cut it off. Next, you'll see 5 wires. Black, Red, Green, White, and Yellow. Disregard the Yellow wire. Next, it's as easy as cutting and stripping your USB cable to expose the Black, Red, Green and White wires. Strip about an 1/8 of an inch of shielding off of each of the wires. Next, match the colors and solder. Now, you can't just plug in and expect everything to work. You have to download drivers. Those can be obtained here. As I understand it, the xbox live communicator can also be used. Drivers are available here. After everything is done, and you have installed drivers and tested, replace the black tabs. Remember you'll need to dremel out a little notch for the USB cable to lay now.

This method ensures you maintain your xbox controller for your xbox, it's just modded so you can use it on your PC as well. It would be just as easy to cut the end off of an extra controller and solder the wires together. I only have 1 controller, so I was kinda hesitant about doing this, but it worked out well. I don't know if this method works for 3rd party or wireless controllers or not. don't have any way to test that. I can't take full credit for this. I found it at OCModShop while checking out xbox mods one day.

Pics:

Thnx SGTM! That was not only really fun but very easy too! I just finished mine about 2 minutes ago, it has a 20 foot cable!

Also, thanks for the driver links! It would of been pretty darn interesting without them. ^_^

So... what can I use this for? lol I haven't a clue, I just did it for the hell of it.

+rep!

**DUH! Games! lol

I wonder if I still have Tony Hawk Pro 4...
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I have one with a 40ft cable (it's nifty as hell) and I use ControlMK to make it emulate my mouse and a bunch of random media buttons. Nifty as ****, absoloutely.

(I made mine before SGTM wrote the article, but nice job Sgt.)

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Omega: Can you give me a quick tutorial on how to work that program? Looking at it... I feel like I am in the matrix. lol

**nvm, I got it :p

**Actually, how do you use it as a mouse?