Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermal Sensors

ATX Mental Case

Default Thermal Sensors

As some of you may know I have the NZXT Blackline case and it comes with thermal sensors and a lcd screen to show you the temps of the HDD, CPU, and SYS. Now for the point of this thread.....

I was wondering where exactly to put these temp sensors. For example is it safe to put the sensor inbetween the heatsink and cpu?... should I put the hdd sensor on the top or bottom of the hdd?... I know these may be nub questions but I wont know if I dont ask, and I trust you guys to give me the right answers.

Current Mods: The Dark Side
    PLEASE Support The Cause.

D'Oh

Default Re: Thermal Sensors

1.Don't put the sensor between the cpu die and the heatsink, but close. Try not to create a space between these two.
    2.Find the hotspot of your hdd. Place the sensor there. Or ontop of the hdd.

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

put the cpu sensor on the edge if the heatsink is the same size as the cpu. other wise put it as close to the cpu without it getting in between the cpu and heaksink.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    1.Don't put the sensor between the cpu die and the heatsink, but close. Try not to create a space between these two.
    2.Find the hotspot of your hdd. Place the sensor there. Or ontop of the hdd.

thanks for the reply I understand what you mean about the HDD but I'm still abit confused about the cpu... how can I get it close without being inbetween? If I put the thermal sensor on the heatsink its going to give me a hot reading. Where exactly would you reccomend I put it to get an accurate reading of the cpu? This may sound stupid but maybe inbetween the clamp thing that holds the cpu down and the cpu? Or maybe on the back of the motherboard where the cpu is located? heh I've never dealt with temp sensors before so I'm not exactly sure what would work and what wouldnt

that sounds like an interesting idea, you would certenly get a good reading, but i wouldn't risk breaking it. what heatsink do you have?

EDIT: 1500th post!
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    that sounds like an interesting idea, you would certenly get a good reading, but i wouldn't risk breaking it. what heatsink do you have?

EDIT: 1500th post!
    The heatsink is the stock intel one for the e6600 (I dont overclock so I dont feel the need to pay $50 for an aftermarket one). Also about the idea of putting it between the clamp and the cpu... I just read that the sensors I have are VERY delicate and break easily so I think thats out of the question

congrats on 1500
    Last edited by solja; 08-23-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: w00t 100th post heh

D'Oh

Hmm.. you could just stick it as close as possible to the copper slug in the middle of the heatsink (there is one in the stock heatsink, if I remember right). Putting it on the side of the processor isn't something I've heard anywhere, so can't comment on that.

There isn't a safe spot to put the thermistor as it is ..normally. It is very delicate and no matter how thin the wires are, if it were placed between the cpu and heatsink, you would record really high, but accurate nonetheless, temperatures, and your cpu would be starting to skip cycles in a while.

Mounting it on the back of the cpu is quite impossible too, as it would interfere with the pins.. And putting it behind the mobo is again pointless, unless you wanna know the temperature of the back of the mobo.

Putting the sensor as close as possible to the heat source, on a conductive surface in contact with it is the best alternative, and you have to find it yourself

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    Hmm.. you could just stick it as close as possible to the copper slug in the middle of the heatsink (there is one in the stock heatsink, if I remember right). Putting it on the side of the processor isn't something I've heard anywhere, so can't comment on that.

There isn't a safe spot to put the thermistor as it is ..normally. It is very delicate and no matter how thin the wires are, if it were placed between the cpu and heatsink, you would record really high, but accurate nonetheless, temperatures, and your cpu would be starting to skip cycles in a while.

Mounting it on the back of the cpu is quite impossible too, as it would interfere with the pins.. And putting it behind the mobo is again pointless, unless you wanna know the temperature of the back of the mobo.

Putting the sensor as close as possible to the heat source, on a conductive surface in contact with it is the best alternative, and you have to find it yourself

well in that case I guess the only option is to put it on the actual heatsink, thanks for all the help... looking at how the intel stock heatsink is fan.... I'm begining to think about actually buying an aftermarket heh. I think it would be easier to put the sensor on the Zalman what do you guys think?

if you want a cheap (price) better than stock go with the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro i don't know why it says 34.99 though i got mine in canada for 29 after tax. try looking other places for a cheaper price.

otherwise if you heatsink looks like this, with the copper

i would put some AS5 on the around the edge and put it on then take it off and see where the AS5 transferred then tape the probe on the chip, if there is space or put in on the heatsink itself.

do what i said above to test where the thermal paste touchs the cpu then place it either on the blue ring, then yellow if the blue won't work, and then red if the blue or yellow don't work.

ATX Mental Case

very informative spawn I should definitely try that.. also I'm glad you reccomended the artic cooling freezer 7 I really prefer the looks of it to the zalman. I think I'm definitely going to but that cooler. I think I'm gonna just put the sensor on the side of the copper block because I dont want to chance it messing up the cpu at all thanks you for your posts