Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plexiglass, Acrylic, Polycarbonate

Default Re: Plexiglass, Acrylic, Polycarbonate

I already bought all those tools, they were delivered and I am very satisfied with them!
    But now I am looking for a table saw and I have few very quick questions:

1. when I was looking for a table saw I seen 4" to 10" table saws and I got confused. Does that mean it is (for example) 4" for maximum cutting depth? or it is 4" diameter blade that this table saw can fit?

2. if it is just the blade diameter - I can get one that says 4" and cut 24"x24" acrylic sheet in two pieces (so that the cutting depth was 12"x24") easily? Am I right?

3. I have a choice between this three saws:
    - http://cgi.ebay.com/RYOBI-10-PORTABL...QQcmdZViewItem
    - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45804
    - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93211

Can you help me with my choice? Don't consider the price, because it compensates and comes up to about the same price, because some of those don't have table stands and some do.

4. Are these blades good enough for acrylic and general purposes like wood?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38133

After i make this purchase I will buy acrylic and start working on my project.
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project
    - ExtraBlue Project [NEED YOUR HELP AS OF NOW!!!!]

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

The 10" and 4" are the diameter of the blades The material thickness they can cut max is listed for each saw, about 2 7/8" for the 10" and 3/4" for the 4" . So if you want a good general purpose saw (for use after this project) I'd get the 10" saw. I'd also go with the Ryobi over the Harbor freight ones. Harbor freight are low cost but you get what you pay for... spend the extra on a table saw! As for the blades, you'll need to find some 10" ones to go with the saw (harbor freight doesn't carry that 5 pack in 10"). For plex you want a high tooth count blade (120-180 Tooth) (also called plywood blades), they make a smoother cut but can only be used on thinner material (3/4" or less) a 60 or 80 tooth blade is good for 2x4's and the like... but not great for plex.

Hope that gets you on the right path!
    CrazyBillyBob

I found out that those cheap ones have a problem with a blade. all of them. it is a little off. that what all reviewers say. very few people were satisfied. i found out this one is the cheapest that you can get with out that problem + it got lots of nice features that other table saws offer for this price.

http://www.amazon.com/JET-708315BTC-...1395603&sr=8-3
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project

Hi guys,

I am reading those forums for a while , ervand I have to say that I never had problems with my dremel scroll saw (it is just great) I believe it worth every penny! As for a table saw to big for detail work and no need for modding especially when you work with plexiglass, aluminum, steel and other stuff that a scroll saw can easily handle! Also, you can go with a cheaper one if you don't have the budget on the dremel one!

This is my experience over the years! But I am sure Billy will find a way to shut my moth :p

I did get a scroll saw and I use it a lot since a first day when I got it! I have to take a lot of Architecture classes in my college because my goal is Architecture. We always have to make models and so on, so I do need both of them. It is kind of hard to make straight lines with a scroll saw, that's why I need a table saw. Especial for the 45 degree cuts with I do a lot. I can make it with a scroll saw, but it is too challenging I could never get a PERFECT, CRISP corners when I am done with my model.

I just bought that table saw that I linked above and waiting for it to deliver. I also bough a 10" plywood blade with (180 teeth).

Waiting for it to deliver.
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project

A table saw got delivered, gonna look for some acrylic now.
    I know some people linked me to some of their favorite websites above and I am going to look over them right now, but I would appreciate if I got more sources too look at!

So if someone got anything nice to share I wold be more then happy to! I am looking for:
    + acrylic
    + bulbs and lighting of all kinds of sorts.
    + anything else out there that can make my case look good. any nice website. even if it only sells screws!
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Hi guys,

I am reading those forums for a while , ervand I have to say that I never had problems with my dremel scroll saw (it is just great) I believe it worth every penny! As for a table saw to big for detail work and no need for modding especially when you work with plexiglass, aluminum, steel and other stuff that a scroll saw can easily handle! Also, you can go with a cheaper one if you don't have the budget on the dremel one!

This is my experience over the years! But I am sure Billy will find a way to shut my moth :p

Slaughter,
    What do you mean the table saw is to big for detail work? Your just not building a big enough mod then ... The table saws are large but, you can't beat them for crisp straight lines and beveled cuts. Plus it's good for ripping down sheets of material for use on the scroll saw (as plex, sintra, and wood are cheaper in the 4'x8' sizes). Plus you just can't do a rabbit (a type of joint where you cut a slot into one piece that's just the thickness of the piece that fits into it)with the scroll saw ...Both are wonderfully tools to own, especially if you do other kinds of work or home improvements as well as modding!

CrazyBillyBob

A nice guide on how to use a table saw would be nice.

I know it might sound stupid, but I didn't expect it to be that hard to make 1.5" squares beveled 45 degrees from every side in order to make a perfect 1.5" cube. I didn't make it, but I tried MY way, which I don't think is the way it goes. Thus I had little offs here and there and didn't come up with a perfect cube with nice, crisp edges.

I was working on a plywood with a plywood blade (180 teeth)

Maybe some one more experienced could suggest me anything?!

PS: I am also afraid of this thing now =) You do one wrong move and wooalah! no more fingers =)
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project

up
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project