Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Factum est

Default Re: Factum est

Quote Originally Posted by noopypoop View Post
    tell me, how the hell is this podssible. i couldnt crack it with all the fckin clues in the world, but someone did it without any?
    Yeah, someone got it with nothing more than the word search. I nearly crapped myself.

The thread title: zb. any guesses? I though not, because it's gibberish. There is no symbolism behind it at all, just confusing misdirection.

Frankly=obvious Furtive=secret is just a play on words, nothing too cryptic.

The phrase: "A posse ad esse" is latin for "from possibility to reality" just means that a bunch of goof balls like us have pulled together as a team and will accomplish a great project that we should all be proud of. More on this after the clock strikes zero.

The Phrase: "Alea iacta est" Is a specific and famous quote in Latin. It was first written by one of Julius Caesar's favorite comedy writers. Caesar eventually gained enough political power by Roman citizens' admiration, and the military force as the general of the infamous 13th regimen of the Roman army (and the balls) to challenge his old ally Pompey Magnus for total control of Rome (which was at the time a Republic of senators dominated by the Triumvirate of Caesar, Magnus, and Crassus). During this time in Roman history, it was illegal for any Roman soldier to enter Rome either unannounced, armed, or against orders (the politicians of the time had every reason to be weary of military might). The boundary that marked the place where Roman soldiers were forbidden to cross was the Rubicon river passing nearby Rome. Caesar began his civil war for the chance to become the emporer of Rome by ordering his 13th to march across the Rubicon into Rome (from which Magnus fled for his life, which he later lost anyway). This event was enourmously pivotal in the history of Rome because it essentially set up the new style of empire lead civilation that Rome suffered until it's demise. So the connection to the phrase is just after he gave the order to March across the Rubicon on Rome, he was heard uttering "Alea iacta est" (The die is cast) meaning the plan has been set into motion past the point of no return and the only direction remaining is forward (just like the countdown clock). The reasons here are classified.

The word search was very easy to make, count the number of letters in my passcode translated into latin, start filling in a graph and be sure to leave that many open. Then I started "greening" correct answers. Then I saw that the puzzle was being solved about 50X faster than I had planned, so I started greening wrong answers, then redding correct answers, then letters, and phrases, then anything I could to lose everyone in a mess, and for the most part it worked. So after I was ready, I started dropping more solvable clues.
    The rest is about as obvious as I get.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 10-24-2007 at 06:13 PM.

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

*sound of Helix's brain exploding after reading the above post*

I'd actually completely forgotten about this until the Frankly Furtive thread was brought back up again.
    So waiting a bit longer won't bother me.
    /me moves anything an edge away from him...
    Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

For a laugh, I'll add a statement I made in the staff forums while you code-breakers were tearing my little games to pieces.

Holy ****, I don't think I've been giving these guys enough credit. They have figured out some things that I thought were so obscure they would never know. The "XLIX" has two meanings, it's the number of words hidden in the puzzle in roman numerals (49), and it's where I got the title of the puzzle. The title is not a direct quote, but it is stolen from the the translated version of "Songs of Kabir", verse XLIX (THAT which you see is not: and for that which is, you have no words). I just chopped it up to fit the game. Kabir was a 120 year old Buddhist poet who lived back in the 1300's in India. Most of his teachings were written in two line meter (like the title of the puzzle). I just tossed this in for kicks but never expected anyone to get it. Yikes! I better hurry up and get the rest of the game put together.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    For a laugh, I'll add a statement I made in the staff forums while you code-breakers were tearing my little games to pieces.
    lol. u should consider switching your job. quit modding. work for disney. make the puzzles for national treasure 2

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noopypoop View Post
    lol. u should consider switching your job. quit modding. work for disney. make the puzzles for national treasure 2
    You got that right. The puzzle was pretty clever. I didn't get it until substantial clues were given.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpirate View Post
    You got that right. The puzzle was pretty clever. I didn't get it until substantial clues were given.
    I'm still lost on the puzzle deal. I'll just wait until whatever it is happens. Based on the video, I have a guess, but I'm keeping that to myself.

Anodized

wait what? lol i didnt think this was a actual puzzle game thingy. someone explain in layman terms wats been goin on here? i tried reading jdbnsn explanation but its a history lesson and like all things history(cept video games) it put me to sleep. lol

The game is over, but if you want to see how it played out search the chatterbox for the Frankly Furtive thread.

I've been away for a bit - driftwest is a bit of a time hungry mistress - and I still have no idea of what the hells going (been going?) on.

Time to have a shuftie round the forum and see whats what....