Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else have problems reading??

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Does anyone else have problems reading??

They always taught me wrong. ALWAYS. I had no friends throughout school and still don't have any. I have one friend whom I think I'm slowly driving away. My life is hell right now and school is becoming more and more difficult for me. I really do think I should've taken a year off, but I had forgotten to and my parents keep shoving me forward even though it looks like there's a real nasty cliff right up the road... and I forgot my parachute.

I do pretty well at school, and I'm aiming for an A in every GCSE apart from french and RE (catholic school), which I want a B in, but I always get treated like *insert profanity* by the teachers, because their lessons bore the *insert profanity* outta me. I understand what they are trying to teach in the first five minutes, but after twenty minutes we end up going over the same thing, and I end up getting sent to another class for not listening. I got moved down a from top set in english just after we did mock, mock exams. She said that I was'nt taking in anything what she was teaching and that I needed to go at a slower pace, then I got the results and I got an A*. People complained to her (including teachers) and I got moved back up so that I could be "pushed". But I hate the reading part!

Don't feel bad you're not the only one. .I can read and retain the information I've read just fine, but when it comes to writing about what I've read I tend to scramble the details the end becomes the beginning. .kinda like Pulp Fiction

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

wow this has turned into an LD thread, so i might as well add some more complaints about my brain.

I have HORRIBLE memory, if you randomly asked me to walk away from my computer then name 5 users that goto tbcs, i'd get to 3 and struggle for a good 15 mins, then get to 4 and quit.

Math is the WORST subject for me, ill understand and memorize 1/3 of the steps and then just completely loose the concept of the rest. the only reason i can keep up a C+ in it, is because i try to do my work and dont just blow it off...

the sad thing is, im considered a "smart" kid by my parents and other students, which means kids just dont try anymore.

After middle school, they should place kids into career based schools, instead of the general knowledge ones we have today. Everyone does better in fields they enjoy and do at home. Do we really need to know the history of literature in america? chemistry? high level math?

not unless it pertains to your career field. Sure sure people say you may need it if you change jobs.

What are the odds that im going to change out of the computer field (which all of my electives are) into american literature? basically 0.

Im not complaining about the fact that its difficult to learn, but the fact we are learning subjects we will probably NEVER use.

(wow i got kinda off topic)

Greco101

I agree with you 100% D1337... it's almost always "use it or lose it" when it comes to knowledge. Memorizing information for a grade is a huge waste of time when you could be building knowledge for your field of interest at an early age. I really wish career schools existed and were and option for highschoolers that know what they're interested in... maybe even have an employment plan through the school after graduation like ITT??

If only... I'd be employed right now with my dream job.

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Your brain doesn't take to things it thinks aren't important. You may think it's important, and really want to learn it, but your brain thinks differently.
    I totally agree with this.. the only way I can remember things from technical manuals and text books is if I can actually attempt them on my own.

Sometimes I'll have to hear a phone number 10 times, and still forget it. Then out of the blue, I'll say something like "tell me that number now, and I wont forget it." And I wont! I have to WANT to learn something before I can actually grasp it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I have to WANT to learn something before I can actually grasp it.
    Same thing here a lot of the time. If I stop caring about it as it still doesn't make sense it'll just flow right around me. I learned that from AP Calc at the end of the day, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by D1337 View Post
    After middle school, they should place kids into career based schools, instead of the general knowledge ones we have today. Everyone does better in fields they enjoy and do at home. Do we really need to know the history of literature in america? chemistry? high level math?

not unless it pertains to your career field. Sure sure people say you may need it if you change jobs.

(wow i got kinda off topic)
    I totally agree. In the UK we do get some choice in subjects, we can choose 1 out of 2 technology subjects (Electronics, Product Design, Food, Textiles), and 2 other subjects (Geography, Information Technology, Physical Education, Music, Drama, Art) but these are compulsory for the first 3 years of high school, which I think is a bit of a waste, but on the other hand, I feel that an age of 11 or 12 is far too young to choose your career path at. At my school the compulsory lessons are: sciences, maths, french, religious education, english, and 1 lesson of physical education. French is understandable because i think a GCSE in it is required to go to some universities, but all of the others are pointless apart from maths science and english.

By the way does anyone know what i should study in college if i want to do Electrical Engineering/Computer Engneering at uni?

Quote Originally Posted by D1337 View Post

After middle school, they should place kids into career based schools, instead of the general knowledge ones we have today. ...
    In the US, thank your parents for this NOT happening. Due to the enormous amounts of lawsuits brought by parents, the career tracked education (ie: vocational schools), have all but been eliminated in public schools. Parents do NOT want their kids taught specifically in one general field, and instead want their education focused on getting into college.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Your brain doesn't take to things it thinks aren't important. You may think it's important, and really want to learn it, but your brain thinks differently. ...
    Not sure I agree with this. Learning is not about "what your brain finds interesting", it is about enforcing the information as many ways as possible. Not everyone learns the same. For me, I need to hear it, write it, then do it. (most people do learn this way) For others it can be repetitive instruction, others just need the information presented in several different ways for it to "stick". One interesting study was done many years ago, that reinforced the information using the "Sister Mary Method" (the threat of violence with a ruler...). Most students improved comprehension _and_ retained information longer, but had a harder time getting out of bed to go to school. (this is information that the SO has learned in the 18 years of post graduate work for her various teaching credentials (she now is director of special education at her school))

As far as the music while learning/studying, studies have shown that classical music raises the IQ around 8% while metal (and hard rock) actually lower the IQ by the same %. The reason they gave is that the brain will actually create new synapse connections due to the complicated patterns in classical music, while metal causes the same synapse's to be used over and over again, with more "traffic" on those synapses. (at least that is what I remember)

If you have specific questions as to learning disabilities and how to overcome them, let me know and I will ask the wife. She is _always_ more than happy to help out in that area and can even provide specific links for help.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...