Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Distro Roundup

  1. #1
    Keepin' it Metal .Maleficus.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Dairy State...
    Posts
    3,347

    Default Distro Roundup

    http://arcanesystems.com/index.php/D...o-Roundup.html

    This is another little guide for people looking to start using Linux. It's my Distro Roundup, a roundup of a bunch of popular distros. They include...

    Ubuntu
    Fedora
    Gentoo
    Arch
    openSuSE
    Mandriva
    Debian

    and though not really Linux, but still related...

    FreeBSD
    Solaris

    So far I have Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo and Arch published (2 each page) with the rest coming up soon. Hope this helps someone!
    RIP Bucko

  2. #2
    Ceann na Drochaide Bige! XcOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sheffield (UK)
    Posts
    2,990

    Default Re: Distro Roundup

    very nicely done mate,

    if you like i could lend a hand a produce a writeup on some distros for you?


    Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

  3. #3
    Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Distro Roundup

    BackTrack 2 <3

  4. #4
    Keepin' it Metal .Maleficus.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Dairy State...
    Posts
    3,347

    Default Re: Distro Roundup

    Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    very nicely done mate,

    if you like i could lend a hand a produce a writeup on some distros for you?
    If it isn't too much trouble, that would be awesome. Thanks man.
    RIP Bucko

  5. #5
    Religiously tolerant. Luke122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,246

    Default Re: Distro Roundup

    Damn Small Linux!

    An entire bootable Live CD, 50mb. Comes with a bunch of applications, and can fit onto a USB key or business card CD.

    I've got this running on my donated Toughbook right now, 100% functionality. I'm currently playing with the NDISwrapper to get my wifi card working... then it's aircrack/airsnort time.

    Also, Sabayon is another great distro that i've played with a bit. It's a very graphically oriented distro, and the version I have actually came with a quake 4 demo.

    \m/ d(-_-)b \m/

    R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

  6. #6
    Keepin' it Metal .Maleficus.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Dairy State...
    Posts
    3,347

    Default Re: Distro Roundup

    Sabayon's on the list dude . Check out the Gentoo writeup, and scroll down to "Side Distro: Sabayon".


    Edit: Also, I'll add to that. At the end of most entries, you'll find a Side Distro entry, giving a brief description of a distro based off one of the "core" distros. You'll find Linuxmint, Red Hat (I know, Fedora was based off Red Hat, but it's for free Linux), Sabayon, and maybe a few more. There are also links to helpful websites based off each distro (mostly the support forums, but if I find others, I'll add them). I also added the Wikis for all the distros.
    RIP Bucko

  7. #7
    Ceann na Drochaide Bige! XcOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sheffield (UK)
    Posts
    2,990

    Default Re: Distro Roundup

    i'm on it, will use VM from within windows (Not sure if theres one thats easily avaiable for ubuntu) to get a screen dump, i tried to install ARCH last night, get it working, but no GUI, couldn't get my network card to work, evenif it was just a bridge, it seems that arch didn't like it.


    Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

  8. #8
    Keepin' it Metal .Maleficus.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Dairy State...
    Posts
    3,347

    Default Re: Distro Roundup

    Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    i'm on it, will use VM from within windows (Not sure if theres one thats easily avaiable for ubuntu) to get a screen dump, i tried to install ARCH last night, get it working, but no GUI, couldn't get my network card to work, evenif it was just a bridge, it seems that arch didn't like it.
    Sounds good man, I can make your account into one that will allow you to add content to the site.

    The reason I don't have screens for Gentoo or Arch is the fact that they don't have a distro specific desktop; you add it yourself later.
    RIP Bucko

  9. #9
    Administrator OvRiDe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    4,584

    Default Re: Distro Roundup

    Nice work.

    Slackware would be a good addition to your list. It was released in 1993 and could be considered one of the Grand daddy's of Linux considering Linux it self was first developed in 1991. http://www.slackware.org

    Also on your Red Hat/Fedora sub list, CentOS is built from the source of Red Hat EL, and is intended to be an Enterprise class linux for those who don't need the support provided by the purchase versions of RedHat EL. http://www.centos.org/

  10. #10
    Keepin' it Metal .Maleficus.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Dairy State...
    Posts
    3,347

    Default Re: Distro Roundup

    Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Nice work.

    Slackware would be a good addition to your list. It was released in 1993 and could be considered one of the Grand daddy's of Linux considering Linux it self was first developed in 1991. http://www.slackware.org

    Also on your Red Hat/Fedora sub list, CentOS is built from the source of Red Hat EL, and is intended to be an Enterprise class linux for those who don't need the support provided by the purchase versions of RedHat EL. http://www.centos.org/
    Cool, Slackware will go on as it's own, and CentOS can go on as another "Side Distro". That leaves 8 "big" distros, 2 "other" distros (FreeBSD and Solaris), and at least 4 side distros. 14 for sure, maybe a few more.

    Thanks for all the input guys!
    RIP Bucko

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •