Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [CIP] Core4

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: [CIP] Core4

Quote Originally Posted by floriske.nl View Post
    On the contrary, your remark gave me inspiration to think about adding another dimension to the base of the case, not the exact same shape as the acryl panels, but just maybe I'll add some more depth to it.
    No problem mate, I do what I can lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

First acryl panels cut

This might just be one of the most important updates of this project.
    Although the update itself isn't, but the things in it are

Let's begin at the beginning:

First of all last week I've been working on finishing the molds a few evenings.

I've made two copies of the original mold, this for two reasons:
    1. So that, when something goes wrong, I will always have the unharmed original
    2. If you look closely at the pictures you can see (middle of the stacks of 3 plates is the original) that the routed version becomes a tiny bit bigger than the mold itself, by making two copies I have two versions with the exact same size.

Here's a part that was a minor setback and turned out a bit different than I eventually thought.

To keep the amount of work on the panels as minimal as possbile I wanted to drill the center holes of the legs of the case in the molds so I could easilly drill them in the acryl panels.
    This would also come in handy to clamp the acryl panels in between the molds, two advantages in one step: the holes drilled in the panels as well as a way to clamp them in between the molds.

I printed and cut out the basic shapes of the molds with the exact spot of the holes on them and taped these onto the molds.

While drilling the holes it turned out to be difficult to get them in the exact right place because it's wood and the drill sort of seeks it's own way through.
    Eventually the difference was too big to be able to use them.

So I decided not to use these holes and later on drill the holes in the acryl panels some other way.

I had to think of another way to clamp the acryl panels in between the molds.

Because the center square of the panels will eventually be cut out as well it wasn't a problem to drill a few holes within it.
    So I roughly drew the shape of the center onto the molds and drilled the holes for clamping them together within it.

To make sure the acryl panels won't get scratched by the wood of the molds without having to cover them in masking tape I cut their rough shape out of cardboard, so I can clamp the acryllic panels in between these two cardboards panels.

Here's the first panel clamped in between the molds.

and here it is after routing it, the end result will follow soon

But first some pictures my girlfriend took while I was rounting the second panel :blush:

And here's the final result :dremel: I'm very pleased with it, the routing goes very well and the result is beyond my expectations.

Just for your info, the above pictures are taken right after I took the panels out of the molds, no sanding paper has been used yet!

For those who might have noticed, there was a minor flaw in the mold for the smallest panel, but fortunatelly I was able to fix this with some extra sanding and will be able to fix it in the first cut panel as well

So far for this, In my opinion very succesfull, update
    Don't think about modding it, MOD IT!
    Current project Core4 sponsored by AC-Ryan
    Previous project XIXIV
    My homepage

(translation nearly done)

Wow those panels came out really good, especially when they're sanded and all Keep it up!

Very nice mate, great work.

Thx once again!

I'm very pleased with the results so far, despite the minor setback

I'll keep you posted!
    Previous project XIXIV
    My homepage

It's been a while since I have posted here, but here I am again

I have some bad news for some of you (who are dying to see a new update):

There is some delay in the progress of the project, because me and my girlfriend bought ourselves a house last week.

As you can imagine there are a lot of things that have to be arranged for it and there is also some work to do on the house as well (It's brand new and still needs a bathroom, kitchen etc.) some of this work will be done by myself.

We expect to move in at the beginning of march and till then we are quite busy with all kinds of stuff because of which I won't have much time to work on my project.

I want to try to do some work in between, but can't promise anything.

As soon as we moved in our new house and I have more time I will start working on it more frequent again.

Till then please be patient
    Previous project XIXIV
    My homepage

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I was so looking forward to an update. Oh well, all in good time. Congratulations on the house.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Well at lease you let us know. GL on the move. I've had to move my brother and sister to their new places so I know how much work it really is. Try to find time to mod!!!

Congrats on the new house. I like your project so far. Can't wait for you to continue. What program(s) did you use to make your concept art? Those renders are great.
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

i'm jealous!!! i want a house! good lookin stuff so far... excellent. hopefully the house came with a garage or a shop for modding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER