Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Green Light

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Project: Green Light

Ok so I'm going to be starting my first mod here in the very near future. The theme is going to be NVIDIA so AKA Green Light. I wanted to start this log a bit early so that I can make sure that what I buy will be good for other mods. (Esp. the tools) The hardware that I have already bought are:

*Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz (1066 MHz FSB)
    *256MB XFX GeForece 8600 GT
    *XFX nForce 650i Ultra NVIDIA
    *80 GB Primary HDD
    *2 GB Corsair RAM (2 x 1 GB)
    *80mm Antec Tri-Cool Green LED Fans (4)
    *Antec 900 Case

And what I need to buy:
    *320 GB Secondary HDD
    *Monitors
    *Lighting
    *Siding
    *New Dremel
    *120mm Antec Tri-Cool Green LED Fans (4)

What I plan on doing is build an idea of what I want the modded case to look in SketchUp. (I'll post pics when I have time) I'm going to probably use an older case to make this modded one out of and use the Antec 900 Case to just house the guts for now. (I wanna use it ) So I'm rummaging through some old cases that I have piled up in my room, seeking the perfect one. Although, I do have an Ultra Full Tower ATX case that my old "modded" computer is in. My dad is currently using it but I might use that instead of another older case because it has features like:
    *Removable HDD casing with attached Fans
    *Lots of room
    *Fits any MOBO
    *And has large clear side

If I use this Ultra tower, I'll probably take out the clear panel and change it to a green. Also, I'll be cutting out the top of the case to make that a window as well. Not too sure what to do with the front of it because it has a door on it, and I really don't know if I can do a door mod. :/

So I have alot of decisions to make but at least I'm headed in the right direction and I have a good plan that I will be following. Please make any suggestions or comments on my updates. (PICS SOON!)

Thanks everyone!!
    Fuga

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: First mod: Green Light

Can't wait!

Sounds like a good strategy. Happy modding.

QUESTIONS
    Ok so I'm really debating whether or not to use water cooling. I’ve been looking at Danger Den kits because I have been seeing alot of modders use that for the quality and price. They have a place where you can custom build your own water cooling system to fit your needs. The kit I made consists of:

Base Price = $52.95

*CPU Water Block – Danger Den TDX

*Top Style – Lucite – Clear (WTF is this??)

*Video Block – None (They don’t have one for the NVIDIA 8700 GT)

*Fitting Size – ½ OD High Flow Fitting for ½ ID Tubing

*Radiator – Black Ice Pro 2 (Black) = $33.95 (This one is the Double one. Would it be better if I got the 2 Singles or the one Double?)

*Fans – None (I just bought 4 120mm Green LED)

*Pumps – DD CPX-1 12V Pump = $42.95 (Could I get something better for around the same price?)

*Reservior – Single 5 ¼ Bay Reservior = $29.00 (Is this really worth it? Or should I look to get a better looking custom one? Clear one mabe?)

*Reservior LED – 2 X Green 5mm Molex = $5.00 (Cool? No idea about this either lol.)

*Tubing – 10 Feet of Clearflex = $12.00 (Got more because I have no idea how much I’ll need or mess up )

*Misc – 12 Hose Clamps, Y & T Connectors = $9.00

*Total = $184.85 (Kinda affordable...)

I would really want to do some type of water die. Not really UV because I don’t like the UV lights lol. So I’m just thinking a green die will have a good effect. REMEMBER!! I’m looking for like a starters kit but I dont want it to be crap.

Please suggest and comment.
    Fuga

but you dont have an 8700 and it wont be out for another month there not going to have a block for it for another 2 months minimum after it comes out and due to the fact that its a different board theyre not gonna make adapters for previous models danger den is probably going to be doing alot of testing on that card BEFORE they even announce that the block is coming out on top of that g98 will be out by then and the combine cost of an 8700 plus the cost of a brand new block would probably be give or take a hundred dollars less then a g98 that will have dx10.1 support and jsut have it aircooled

imo dont by an 8700 i actually want one cuz im stuck with my 7600gt and no more than 70fps on cod2 with 1280-1024 but i may get a ati board (i know im a nvidia fanboy i had nvidia spray painted onto the side of my case but i also love amd and i have 2x monitors and with vista they took out an option for dual display that converts the two monitors into one i think they called it span now they just have crappy dual view

good luck w/ the mod sounds cool

have a +rep for an incentive to give me shots of naked gfx cards
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

Gah... I really need to read what I buy LOL. Ya I did buy the 8600 GT. I'll have to look that up instead. Thanks armadilloben!

sounds like a good price/performance kit you got there.

Top Style – Lucite – Clear
    all that means is its a clear top so you can see the coolant flow. Lucite is a type of plastic, here is a Lucite guitar.

*Reservior – Single 5 ¼ Bay Reservior = $29.00 (Is this really worth it? Or should I look to get a better looking custom one? Clear one maybe?)
    did it show a picture of it? most of those are already clear or can come in see through green, red, blue (i think).

i've only really done research (in terms of reviews) on swiftech stuffs so here is a good cpu kit for 239.99. plus with that pump you can add more water blocks/rads down the road without an upgrade. its a nice strong pump that alot of people use. here is a review of the swiftech kit should you consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by armadilloben View Post

have a +rep for an incentive to give me shots of naked gfx cards
    "
    lmao +rep. i can just see a popup add, "XXX the hottest new cards nude nude nude!!!!"
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

ATX Mental Case

I think they don't have one for the 8700 coz well... It doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by psychowit View Post
    I think they don't have one for the 8700 coz well... It doesn't exist.
    I have already corrected myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    I have already corrected myself....
    when i posted u didnt sry my bad
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha