Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a case with...

Fresh Paint

Default Looking for a case with...

1) at least 4 5.25" bays, preferably no more than that
    2) at least one external 3.5" bay, preferably no more. 5 5.25" bays would be fine too
    3) a motherboard tray
    4) an air filter in front that is part of the case. I know that you can always put a filter on a fan bracket, but that's not good enough for me.
    5) no door in front of the 5.25" bays! Those things are so popular and I find them totally annoying.
    6) All the screws and holes should line up properly.

I also desire
    7) BTX upgrades. My next CPU will be Intel and they run hot and noisy. I gather the BTX thing is essentially an air duct for the CPU.

My current case, an Antec P-160, meets the first 5 of my requirements. But it isn't made very well. The I/O space in the back wasn't cut in quite the right place and it was painful fitting the motherboard in the case.

I took a look at the Lian-li models used by Koolance and they don't have motherboard trays or case-based air filters.

I'm looking at the case sold by Quiet PC, which is a Compucase with some foam in it, and I don't know if it has a motherboard tray yet. The description seams to imply a case based air filter, but the front air duct looks awfully small.

The Antec Sonata cases are too small.

Default Re: Looking for a case with...

Welcome to the forums.

1. Almost any Mid tower will have this.
    2. Again, most mid towers will have this.
    3. ALL cases have a motherboard tray. You couldn't mount it if it didn't. I think you mean a removable motherboard tray, right?
    4. That's going to be hard to find. I can only think of one case off the top of my head like that.
    5. Not a problem.
    6. Should be the way with all well made cases.

7. BTX isn't just a fan duct... It's an entirely new form factor (which almost nobody uses). I can't really think of any BTX mobos, except for 1 Intel mobo I saw. You could get a BTX ready case, but if you're paying a premium for it, I don't think it's worth it.

The one case I can think of that fits (most) your criteria...

Cooler Master Centurion 5.
    RIP Bucko

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

3. ALL cases have a motherboard tray. You couldn't mount it if it didn't. I think you mean a removable motherboard tray, right?
    Yes, I meant a removable motherboard tray.

6. Should be the way with all well made cases.
    My Antec P-160 is not well made.

Cooler Master Centurion 5.
    Thanks for the tip. It has everything but the removable motherboard tray.

Fresh Paint

Given the dearth of chassis with removable motherboard trays and given that the problem with my own case is that the I/O panel doesn't line up properly, I have to wonder if it is difficult for case makers to get the I/O panel to line up when there is a removable motherboard tray. It doesn't seam that it should be that way, but I guess since they're all using Chinese prison labor to make these things that's what happens.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Get a BTX style ATX case like the Antec 900, much better than a true BTX case.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I'm currently building a system in a Cooler Master Elite 330.

Quote Originally Posted by dnewhous View Post
    1) at least 4 5.25" bays, preferably no more than that
    Done
    2) at least one external 3.5" bay, preferably no more. 5 5.25" bays would be fine too
    2 external 3.5" bays, 5 - 3.5" hdd bays
    3) a motherboard tray
    Note a removable tray, but loads of access.
    4) an air filter in front that is part of the case. I know that you can always put a filter on a fan bracket, but that's not good enough for me.
    The entire front of the case is mesh with foam behind it.
    5) no door in front of the 5.25" bays! Those things are so popular and I find them totally annoying.
    No door on the front of this one.
    6) All the screws and holes should line up properly.
    Good so far!
    I also desire
    7) BTX upgrades. My next CPU will be Intel and they run hot and noisy. I gather the BTX thing is essentially an air duct for the CPU.
    Nope, BTX is a totally different form factor. Mobo is essentially upside down, and backwards. I havent seen a case that accepts both BTX and ATX, but I've heard rumors of one existing.
    My current case, an Antec P-160, meets the first 5 of my requirements. But it isn't made very well. The I/O space in the back wasn't cut in quite the right place and it was painful fitting the motherboard in the case.

I had an Antec P180, and it was really nice, but did have the door on the front. Was built really well too.
    Hope that helps!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Fresh Paint

I just thought of something - if the right side panel is removable that's as good as having a removable motherboard tray, which appears to be a dying feature.

Looking at Koolance - if I bought a case with windowed side panels what's a good way to put shielding over the window? Reynolds wrap? Preferably foil with a nonconductive coating.

I have decided on either the Cooler Master CM 690 (for air cooling) or the Koolance PC3-725 (for water cooling).

Quote Originally Posted by dnewhous View Post
    Looking at Koolance - if I bought a case with windowed side panels what's a good way to put shielding over the window? Reynolds wrap? Preferably foil with a nonconductive coating.
    Shielding the windows with foil? There wouldnt be any need for a window if you did that. It would also help reflect heat back into the case.

As for the ATX BTX cases, my case can handle both form factros. An after market adapter plate is needed to switch factors and doesnt cost too much.

[edit]
    Looked at thoes cases you got linked there. I dont know how much the CM case is but that koolance case is way too overpriced for what you get with it.

For $100 less, you can get all thoes things you want in a case and the same W/C components. One slight drawback (if you can even call it that) is the folding side wings. They are not anoying like the full cover bay doors. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...re=THERMALTAKE

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
    Shielding the windows with foil? There wouldnt be any need for a window if you did that. It would also help reflect heat back into the case.
    I don't like windows and Koolance doesn't give me an alternative.

For $100 less, you can get all thoes things you want in a case and the same W/C components. One slight drawback (if you can even call it that) is the folding side wings. They are not anoying like the full cover bay doors. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...re=THERMALTAKE
    That case is too large. A couple hundred dollars is nothing to me. But my time is valuable.
    Looking closer - I don't see why they make it so tall when it only has 5 external bays - one of which is taken up by the thermal controling junk. Sorry, that case is not in the same league as the Koolance.

I also consider the Thermaltake Matrix VX a possibility.

I have the CM 690. Nice solid case. Click the link in my sig for a ton of views of the case as I disassembled it. Some pretty good airflow in there if you install all the fans. Also, with a little work, fairly easy to put water cooling in. It has pre-cut holes to externally mount a single 120mm radiator on the back.