Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: LotusBlossom

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Default Re: LotusBlossom

Welcome back I went over this thread and i think the work you did so far is very nice ! I can't wait for some updates
    - Computer-Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Computer-Geek View Post
    Welcome back I went over this thread and i think the work you did so far is very nice ! I can't wait for some updates
    I just did to, and it's great! That lotus was killer!

Nice poster BTW
    RIP Bucko

So this evening I re-approached the project from a logistical standpoint. The first thing I noticed is that this is a crazy small case. The wood panel that is meant to cover the top of the optical drive wouldn't even go into place without removing the motherboard.

With the wooden pieces I had already crafted propped in place and me holding the power supply, you can see what a tight squeeze it is. It was hard enough to connect all the cables before there were any obstacles in the way; I'm going to need to be very careful not to block access.

On the other side of the case (which I didn't photograph) the acrylic jogs around the 5.25" down to the 2 3.5" drives. The shape is kind of like a "Z". At first I was going to make the far side of the wooden box straight and ignore this jog, but now I see that where the motherboard juts out to - in combination with where the front power switches and lights are - means I'll need to follow that zig zag. Furthermore, I'll need to complete this box and install it piece by piece while simultaneously screwing in the drives each step of the way or I won't have access to those mounting screws later. So basically once this mod is done, I won't be updating this system EVER. But it'll look cool, so whatev. Here are all the wood pieces to make the main box, laid out so that I can figure out what to draw on them:

I've decided to stick with the themes that I initially intended, but maybe to expand upon the designs. This is mostly because I can't really remember what I wanted the finished design to look like from before. I know that I wanted to use the lotus blossom and some eastern thought concepts. I had created that fan cover with the ouroboros on it, but now I see that it's too tight a squeeze to use it. Instead, I'm going to incorporate the snake theme somewhere else. This is what I came up with just free-handing it as a start. I want the 3-dimensionality of the box to be reinforced, but with something simple enough that I can stencil. I want the finish product to look "stenciled" as a style choice.

Now that I'm thinking about it - Maybe I should try to set up the box as it will be in the case and draw the snake moving through the box like it was crawling through the drives? The right 3 panels are the "Z" jog and aren't very visible in the case so they don't need to be too complicated. Thoughts?? Something completely different?
    Last edited by amberella; 08-01-2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: dumbness
    --------------------------------------------------
    everyone has an uncle who's an amateur magician.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I remember seeing this mod start up. It's cool that you have started working on it again. Also congrats on getting hitched.
    Need a sig

Glad to see you back. Congrats on the nuptuals!

Happy Birthday!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Is awesome

I'm sorry if this comment has been made before.

[beyonce or whoever voice]
    Under my amberella, ella, ella,eh eh eh under my aberella, ella, ella, eh eh eh eh eh eh! We're gonna mod all night togetha! we're gonna make it through this stormy wetha!hurrican charlie can't stay foreva! unless we're not under our amberella, ella ella, eh eh eh (and so forth)
    [/Byonce voice or whoever]

And great mod by the way. Fantastic work on the painting and such.
    You love my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Wow she's back!

...wait... do i even rember this mod? was i even registered...nevermind...

Congrats on your marriage btw
    ^ agreed

and good to see this mod back on track... looks great... +rep

Whoa carp, Amberella's back.

Congrats on getting married! Thats great. Now if you'll excuse me for one moment...hahahaha "decorative pillow shams".

Ok, well, the mod looks good. Are you going to paint the wood, or leave it looking like wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    Under my amberella, ella, ella, ...
    LO-frickin-L ... no - that has yet to come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    Are you going to paint the wood, or leave it looking like wood?
    It's going to be painted super clean white with the UV paint so that with UV lights off it looks blank and sterile, but with lights on it's all bling-a-fied.

I've been preparing to move, but found some time to do research on the type of dragon i'd like to add to the project. I'll have that to post soon. Today I created a paper mock-up of the main box structure since working on it flat was not quite jiving and I want to make the snake/dragon look less like it's crawling ON the box, and rather more THROUGH the box. So here's a little pic of the boxy paper thing. No biggie.

In the meantime while I have the camera out, I finally took a pic of this mixed media art piece thing I did in an unrelated incident. (It's big and hard to photograph). The thing is about 5 feet wide. It's old comp pieces on stained wood with acrylic paint. And the binary is that old school punch labeling tape stuff. Also, here's a link to bigger version (1400x702) if you're interested.

Ok, perhaps more tonight - I'm going to work up a dragon.

amberella out.
    everyone has an uncle who's an amateur magician.