Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College or gap year?

Default College or gap year?

I simply can't figure this out. I am so tired of school at this point, I don't think it would be possible for me to go straight into college. I definitely want to see the world, and I definitely don't want to to have to wait another six or seven years to do so. What do you guys think is the best way to go? Take the gap year and travel around? Or head straigh to college and get it over with? Anyone have any examples or stories to tell about their decision?
    A girl? On the internet? Oh yes, we exist.

Default Re: College or gap year?

I went to work, right out of highschool, and continued it for a couple years. I have to admit that though I was happy to be out of school, I do sort of regret it now.

The best decision I made (IMHO) was to go back and get some certification for my job. After 2 years working, I went to school for 5 months. When I completed the A+ and MCSE, I was offered a work placement in Russia.

When I came back, I was headhunted by Telus. 2 years on a help desk destroyed my faith in humanity, so I quit and pumped gas for a while. Then, I managed a movie store. While helping setup a new video store, I was offered a position with their IT manager so I spent 2 years doing support for them.

I jumped ship when the company changed hands, and landed a government job. I've been here nearly 3 years, and I'll stick around for a few more.

I do wish that I had taken a bit more time to travel when I was younger (and single), but overall, I think that going back to school was the best thing to do.

I'd say go straight to college, but travel all you can during your college years. When you get out, look for a job placement or work experience program before you actively seek a career.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Well, I'm not worried about work right now.

See, I go to a tech school, and my shop teacher trying to get me in with this really nice company that would have me doing lots of programming. I'm in manufacturing so I'd be doing CAD/CAM and stuff like that. Really fun actually. So I'll kind of already have the work experience down, even though I'm not really planning on staying with manufacturing (hoping to get into business and computer programming in college... but who knows... that could change).

I was thinking of travel just because I already know that I have people in a bunch of different places that I could stay with if I needed to. Friends that just moved to Japan, an Aunt in England, a cousin in New Mexico, a sister in New York City, and plenty of options for other places as well (family friends and the like). I just worry that colleges might sort of... look down on me for taking a year off.
    A girl? On the internet? Oh yes, we exist.

Well, my reason for the work experience placement was the travel.. I had already been working in IT since 97. Resume was ok, but after I put Russia on it, I got some serious attention. Plus, I went to Russia and got paid to live there for 6 months!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

I waited a semester before enrolling so I could have a little break; I'm starting next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

When I (barely) graduated from high school, I had every intention to never go to college. After 4 years unloading trailors in a warehouse I gave in and started, I was much more successful in school after having had the time in between. If your heart is leading you to explore first, I would take the time to explore. If your mind isn't ready for the extensive studying you will need to do for college you will be less interested and less able to get involved. My opinion is you should take a break but keep your mind set to go to college when you are ready.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

is never gonna give you up Elenril's Avatar

I'm also tossing up between the two, and I've settled on a healthy compromise: I'll go to uni in England, where the year starts in September, so I'll have 9 months to chill out, work or travel. Maybe you could try looking up uni courses that start at different times throughout the year, so you could have a couple of months off. That way you won't be too diverted from studying that you'll lose the motivation and never want to go back, but you'll also have a break.

Click for my dA page

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Never leave a bright orange case outside. Magpies will attempt to gang rape it.

I was set on going to college back in HS. My plan was to take a year off, and then start at the local school studying Music Performance (Trumpet/Tuba). Well, a friend of mine was going into the Marine Corps, and I learned they had a helluva music program, so (reluctantly) decided to check it out. If someone would have told me on the day I graduated that I would have enlisted, I would have laughed in their face. 6 months later, I did it.

That being said, don't rule out the military. My suggestion for you (given your tech background) would be the Air Force. They have the best tech program in the military. You'll definitely get to travel and see the world, plus have money for college after you get out. To this day, I think joining the Corps was the best thing I've ever done. (well, besides making my kids).

On the opposite side of that argument though, there is a war going on. I was lucky, I served during peace time. I'm not a recruiter, and gain/lose nothing whether you enlist or not.

Fast forward 14 years, to present day. I ended up never going to college, and honestly can't see how it would benefit me at all now. I have a good job, and will only move up from my present position.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSnapIt'sLuna View Post
    .... I just worry that colleges might sort of... look down on me for taking a year off.
    It really depends on what you do with that time off, or MORE importantly, how you spin the story of what you did with your time off.

Prime example;

Travel to Central America for some sun and partying, could be;

Ecotourism to impoverished areas to learn about diminishing rainforests and endangered species...

Trip to Japan:
    Travel abroad to learn about new cultures...

Visit with the Aunt in England;
    Family motivated event to re-discover the roots and history of your family.

In _most_ cases the University will understand depending on how you spin it. Remember most of them were young too... Besides college was nothing like HS. (for me anyway)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    ... My suggestion for you (given your tech background) would be the Air Force. They have the best tech program in the military. You'll definitely get to travel and see the world, plus have money for college after you get out. To this day, I think joining the Corps was the best thing I've ever done. (well, besides making my kids).

BZZZZT!@! Wrong answer, thanks for playing!

Actually the NAVY has THE best tech program on the planet, AND you get to see more places. When I got out of the service and went to check out a college, they gave me full credit for all of my electronics classes I took in the NAVY even though it was over 4 years old.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...