Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a digital multimeter to test for a connection?

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

Default Re: Using a digital multimeder to test for a connection?

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree View Post
    I was thinking about computers, but then I misread Servo as Server...

The two outputs are probably as renderman said, but I don't know why there would be three terminals on the battery connector.
    perhaps it supplies 2 diffrent voltages with one common? kinda unlikely but thats pretty strange.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ned View Post
    But why would it be PWM on a battery? It doesn't control the servo's... The servos all have the PWM though so... Hmmn.
    The servo was probably controlled by some sort of a radio or other controller (when I hear servo I think of the variety I have in my RC10-TC4). In that case, as rendermandan said, PWM is going to tell the servo where to stay (it's the signal line), the other two supply the ground and current which is used by the servo the stay at the position specified by the signal cable. This is done as it's easier to have the servo manage it's own location and power than have the controller do voltage regulation on the servo to keep it at a specific spot. It also reduces electrical interference, which is important for RC vehicles (glitching during a race causing you to lose control isn't fun).

So I'm gonna have to get like a special battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ned View Post
    But why would it be PWM on a battery? It doesn't control the servo's... The servos all have the PWM though so... Hmmn.
    Ok, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the wires on the servo. Not sure what why there are 3 wires comming from the battery, It might have something to do with the type of battery. like for recharging or something.

There's no way to recharge that thing through the 2 channel reciever... ;D

I think i'm gonna have to buy a new 2 channel controller and receiver.

Oh and love the case mod Rendermandan (Motorized Madness)

Ok, I saw your photo stream. What you have there is a nitro RC truck. It runs on nitromethane, an alcohol. It requires a battery pack for the radio receiver (no generator on the motor ). You should be able to pick one of these up with a charger at any hobby store that carries RC cars (real ones that are "repairable", not the cheap tyco stuff).

In your stream of pictures, #4 is the crystal port, this is where you need a crystal for tuning to a specific channel, the crystal must match the same channel as in the radio, but there are different receiver and transmitting crystals (hence why I went with a 2.4Ghz Spektrum radio so I no longer have to deal with crystals).

Looking at the last picture, I'd say you'll have a better time controlling that nitro truck with newer radio, you aren't supposed to use dual stick controllers for land vehicles (the "gun" type are much easier to handle).

Kewl. Now to get it running. :X

Default Re: Using a digital multimeter to test for a connection?

Hi - the other two wiring connectors look like they have a black wire in the centre of each one. Put your DMM on the 2000 ohms range, make sure your wires are in the common and ohms reading socket, turn the meter on and short the red and black test wires. DMM should read 000 - zero ohms. put the black test wireon one of the black wires on your servo and check the three battery pins. One of them should give you a zero. Check again with the other black wire in the other block.
    This should find your negative battery wire.
    The motor in this toy probably rans off a big NiCad 4.8volt pack. The servo may need one or two 9 volt batteries - check the mouldings for battry holders.
    And finally - find an R/C modelling forum ... ! But 9 volts from your newly found negative to one of the other pins will probably work.
    much cheer
    John