Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got myself some goodies

Default Got myself some goodies

OK, so I got some goodies a few days ago.

In the picture you can see the following components:

- Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4L
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    - Geil 2x1GB 4-4-4-12 memory
    - Samsung spinpoint 500GB
    - Nexus 500W modular power supply
    - my newly found HP Vectra case

ok, so here are some pics of the building proces (made with my mobile phone because I was too excited to get a real camera...)

The case, very nice. It has a sidepanel that opens with no srews, pretty good for such an old case. btw, I found this case in the trash at my university!

The PSU, or the box of the PSU

The PSU out of the box, look at the amount of cables that come with it :O

Installed the PSU

picture of the front of the case. The above part is actually some kind of door!

without the door

The drives can slide out to the front so you can mount the drives easilly, here's the floppy drive-bay

I intended to place the HDD in that bay, but the holes don't match, I'll mod that later.

Now for the real part!

The MOTHERboard

The processor, E8400 w00t!!! (I'm very happy with it)

unpacked

placed in socket

I tried to make a picture of the letters on the processor, but my phone-camera just doesn't work that good.

GEIL memory

installed it, nice overview shot

installed the thing in the case

wired it up

And lastly I put in an old videocard, I want to buy a brand new, yet to come out 9600GT, but I'll have to wait... In the picture you see a Asus EN7300TC512, but I later changed it to a 6600 (don't know exact model)

Also I later changed the HSF to an old Intel stock HSF, those are twice as high and have a copper core.

So now I'm very happy with my new system, though I'm dying to get my new vid-card.

Oh and for those who like it, I did some superPI and wPrime benches. This is on the highest clock I have had so far:

wPrime in 22,953s
    SuperPI 1M in 13.031s
    clock: 3564.5 MHz (memory at 400 I think)
    CPU temp: 34C (Temp2 in speedfan)
    northbridge temp: 40C (Core in speedfan)

So tell me what you think...

Default Re: Got myself some goodies

Cool! Looks like your getting it put togethor. Nice Mobo.

you got to love the smell of anti-static bags and thrown away cases in the morning.

Nice!

Cases: With the exception of my new CM690 I have always used tossed out cases. The 690 is the first case I have ever purchased.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    Cases: With the exception of my new CM690 I have always used tossed out cases. The 690 is the first case I have ever purchased.
    I've never purchased a case, only one time when my parents got a new computer I ordered a case for them, the cheapest one I could find :p

Anyway, that case has got to have a facelift some time, I was thinking about black with green lights and stuff, but I'm not sure yet.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Are you gonna paint or mod that case at all?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Are you gonna paint or mod that case at all?
    Yeah I'm gonna mod it some time, as I said above I was thinking about black with green lights and stuff, but I'm not sure yet.

It'll take some before I will start with this case though, I've got my Low Power Mini Server (see sig) I have to start on first.

And the case is underneath my desk anyway, so while I'm sitting here and typing this I can't even see the case

Fresh Paint

I'd really like to know how you got this to work. I just got the same mobo and cpu and I do not post. Gigabyte's website doesn't indicate the compatibility between the cpu and the mobo anywhere on their site. I'd be grateful for any information you have.

Welcome to the forums tools81.

Might I suggest posting a new thread in the "My Computer Ain't Workin'" forum? It'll probably get more views than this thread, and is easier for other people to search for and find.
    RIP Bucko

I read it anyway . but I don't know anything special I did with the mobo or processor. I just got everything out of the boxes and the plugged everything in. I DO know that I have the third (latest) BIOS release on there, but it came that way from the shop. I also know that that BIOS had an upgrade which did something for the E8400, but I think it fixed a minor bug, and the board should work with the older BIOS version I think. I do think the mobo has got some problems with the new quad-core 45nm processors (not really sure though)

On a side note, my roommate got the same mobo but a E8200 processor and his runs fine too. A friend of his also got the same set-up and got it running without any problems with the processor.

2 things you can do: make sure mobo and processor are working by sticking the poroc in another mobo (if you have one) and try a different proc on your own mobo (again if you have another proc)
    The other thing would be to contact either gigabyte, Intel or the shop you got everything from and ask them what's going on.