Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supplying 4.5 volts to something that takes 5 volts?

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Supplying 4.5 volts to something that takes 5 volts?

For that you could try soldering them... or if not good at that or if that won't work... maybe some glue or something?

By the way, sorry if I haven't been very helpful, I've had a really odd day and I've been "out of it" all evening.

Yeah, but I don't want to permantly damage the usb cord on my only male to female. :S

(Course there probably pretty cheap but whatever)

I may just have go without music.
    'Sup guys? I do stuff. (Not really)
    Increase Population!, Increase industry!

Take a 9v battery. Put a resistor in the middle to knock it down to 5v. Use a resistor calculator to find out what resistor you'll need. (You'll need the amperage of the device you want to charge) http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Hopefully I'm not to late for your trip.Since you don't want to work with resistors, if I remember right from my physics classes a while ago, batteries add in serial but do a 1/x in parallel.

I think what would work out for 4.5 v would be to have 12 AA batteries in the following pattern: 6 serial sets of 2 parrallel batteries each (i.e. have 2 batteries in parrallel, then connect 6 of those in serial)
    If my math works out it should be:

1/.75=1/1.5+1/1.5

and then 6*.75=4.5V

I have absolutely no clue what this would do to the current though, so hopefully someone else can chip in
    I'm not creative enough to think of a funny sig. Just quietly laugh to yourself and I'll be happy.

Your math looks right, assuming your equations are correct. I don't know if they are, but the math looks right.

But he is still left with the issue if 4.5V will work for something that wants 5V, of which I can't chime in about, as electricity is not my best area of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel6265 View Post
    Since you don't want to work with resistors, if I remember right from my physics classes a while ago, batteries add in serial but do a 1/x in parallel.
    NO!!!
    Don't do that!

Two 1.5V batteries in parallel will still give 1.5V, but twice the available current.

What's wrong with something like this?

Edit: Since the battery in the MP3 player is probably a 3.6V Lion cell, then it may well charge from a 4.5V source. However, using 3xAA isn't a good idea as they may only have the capacity for one or two charges. Use bigger ones instead, like D cells.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

Wow, that was stupid, I did the exact opposite of what you wanted, now that I look at it, and apparently it will fry your electronics, so don't listen to me at all.
    I'm not creative enough to think of a funny sig. Just quietly laugh to yourself and I'll be happy.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weazel6265 View Post
    Wow, that was stupid, I did the exact opposite of what you wanted, now that I look at it, and apparently it will fry your electronics, so don't listen to me at all.
    It was just a simple mistake dude, don't make such a big deal out of it. Happens to the best of us.

Hey, at least your math 'looked' right

four fully charged NiCads or Ni MH at 1.2volts each is 4.8 volts - much more likely to work - but you need to buy 4 recharrgeables and a charger ...!
    As long as you are certain the wires are electrically touching the USB pins, you can blob superglue over the joint - you just need to keep it all still with Blu-tak (under the plug a back down the wire a bit) untill the glue dries ... or get a soldering iron!
    much cheer
    John