Thread: Xbox 360 in HTPC Case

Default Xbox 360 in HTPC Case

This past week, after realizing I don't use my xbox 360 to often, somehow convinced myself to void the warranty and rip it apart just to take a look at its innards.

Cuff me, book me, send me off. I admit, I have a problem. First step is admitting it, right? I have constant urges to tear apart new "toys" just to see how they are set up. A desire to see how things tick I suppose. And for some reason or another, pictures do not do my heart/brain justice, and I feel the need to void warranties of my personal items just to take a peek.

Here is what I want to do:

Put the innards of the 360 into a slim HTPC case. Get better airflow, and to be honest, better aesthetics.
    ---I find the stock 360 cases to be ugly and confining---

I'm thinking something like this or this, although both of those cases are too large for my liking. The stock 360 is 3.25" h x 10.25" w x 12" l (with hdd installed). I really don't want to go more than 4 x 10-11 x 12-14 as that is roughly the space I have on the tier on my desk. Although I guess I could go more on the height, just didn't want to expand it too big.

I have looked and looked and haven't seen this done. If I had to go bigger on the case I could. Of course it would have some cool color scheme and the usual acrylic accents and modding whatnots. But this is just an idea atm, but if I find the right case it might motivate me to jump on a project.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Xbox 360 in HTPC Case

Sorry for the length, I tend to write too much.

Xbox 360 in a HTPC case. Something slim yet elegant. Can you guys help me find a case that I can mod to fit. I've been looking around but cant seem to find the perfect size.

Why not scratchbuild a case for it ?
    Maybe a chassi in plexi rods dressed with some acrylic

Thats what I have been thinking I might do, but I have been working on designs for 3 scratch built pc's as it is. All are based on wood and simple things as I live in an apartment with simple tools like a hand held scroll saw/jig saw, drill, files, etc.

1) Redesign of Project Alb using wood

2) I stripped a laptop to make into an imac type setup, using plexi and wood.

3) Media center pc out of ... wood and plexi

All are in design phase atm and am waiting for college classes to let up. All 3 are scratch builds so I was hoping to deviate from what is starting to become a pattern with my mods. Also all are based on wood with plexi accents as I don't have access to nice tools to work with a lot of metal or any serious slot cutting or anything.

I posted some pics of my xbox360 during teardown last year, let me find a link..

Ok, cant find them.

Anyways, I've been considering this for awhile, since my Xbox360 is loud as hell.. so loud in fact that it's almost impossible to tolerate. It's definitely too loud to use for watching videos on, and with the additional cooling system I had to get (kept overheating), the noise is almost too much for playing games.

I like your idea of swapping it into a HTPC case.. and I'm seriously considering watercooling it too.. hmm
    Last edited by Luke122; 03-28-2008 at 01:43 PM.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Ya, the case just seemed a bit to cramped to do much when I took it apart. The gpu is covered by the drive as well.

Lian-Li has been working on a few prototype cases for it, but no hints to when it will come out. They also look a little big, but the couple prototypes I saw did look nice and would be a good start for a mod.

I'll see if I can find some good pics/links.

Here is one

Here is supposed to be another concept one too

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

How bout something like this?
    http://allthemods.com/userinfo.php?userid=860&id=932

All hand made. Very sexy.

-CollinstheClown

Yes, that looks to be similar size/shape of what I was thinking about. But mine would most likely be wood/mdf based as it is easier with the tools and space I have in my little apartment.

I can't wait. Once the weather gets those few degrees higher I can start back to modding. With the kitten, I pretty much am stuck to doing things on the balcony instead of on the carpet, as wood/plastic/metal dust probably isn't the best thing for the kitten to be breathing. Thats the main reason everything's been on hold. I can't mod inside with him just yet.