Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
I'll tell you why you'd want it there.

I've got an AM2 4400+ X2. Not an extremely hot processor, but a bit warm (65w).

However, the only AM2 heatsink I have is the stock one from my 3500+ - and that's a cheap piece of aluminum I could easily file my nails on. Forget it. So I've adapted a Tt Volcano 11 - intended for Socket A, but it works decently well - with a bay-controller-connected Smartfan. (The bloody thing actually takes up a 5.25" bay, but I've got mesh over it, and am too lazy to actually do anything further about it.)

At idle, it runs quite cool (CnQ doesn't work, as far as I can tell; CPU speed never changes) even with the fan set fairly low - 2500 RPM or so. However, under load with the fan at its usual nearly-inaudible speed, it gets hot enough to trip the overheat protection (over 65, apparently; though Core Temp and SpeedFan insist it's not, they also read near-ambient idle temperatures as well). And, of course, I always forget to turn the cute little knob before I load up a game. However, I usually remember after a minute or two - and simply turn a knob, powering the fan up to 12v and 4800 RPM. I don't even have to pause my game, much less exit and risk it locking up (Oblivion, I'm looking at you), though I do have to ignore the sound of a dustbuster inside my case!

That's why.
I would see if you could get your hands on a ZeroTherm heatsink. I had it on my LGA775 a while back (they make ones for AM2 as well) and it brought temps down drastically (power-sucking Pentium D, whoo).