Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salvaged computer giving me issues.

Fresh Paint
    IN front of my computer, losing brain cells and loving it!

Default Salvaged computer giving me issues.

Hey all, long time lurker here. I recently came into the possession of an old HP Pavilion 762n. Plugged it in, pushed the power button... heard fans spinning and nothing else; no beeps, no hard drive clicking, no signal to the monitor, nothing.

I decided to open it up and apart from copious amounts of dust, nothing seemed to be awry. The video card fan looked like it was grinding a little, but that shouldn't cause the POST to fail.

Anyway, I started disconnecting equipment to isolate the problem. Out came the videocard, RAM, hard drive, CD-ROM drives, floppy drives (one at a time, of course, then all at once).. Still nothing. I even tried running it without a CMOS battery in.. nothing.

So, should I be looking into a new motherboard? Is there anything else I can try? This isn't going to be my main computer and it can't get any deader than it already is, so extreme measures are not a problem. Thanks!
    He who lives by the sword will eventually get blown away by some bastard with a shotgun.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

Default Re: Salvaged computer giving me issues.

lol
    did you test the hdd on the pc you have now???

was it all plugged in propperly? (sounds stupid but its not)

and does the psu work?

if yes to all above new mb i think....
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

I suspect the PSU isnt giving 12v to the mobo. I had a similar problem with the same symptoms. Try a different PSU if you have one, or a PSU tester to see what's up.

If you arent getting any errors or beeps when you try to boot it with no ram, then it's either a dead board or no power.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Fresh Paint

Alright, I just checked the 12v rail, and it came back at 11.71v. Now, I believe that 11.7v is within the acceptable range for PSUs, but I may be wrong. Thanks for all your help guys.
    He who lives by the sword will eventually get blown away by some bastard with a shotgun.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I got an HP that did something similar, and it was the power supply. It doesn't have a bestec power supply, does it?
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Fresh Paint

Nope, it's a HIPRO power supply, whoever that is..

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I think that's what mine out of the trash had. If it's not a bestec, everything else should be ok, if it's just the PSU. I think it's only emachines that used bestec.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Some HPs did, too - got a Celeron 566 and Athlon 1700+, both HP systems, which both had 'em. Nasty.

Hipro PSUs are fine unless the capacitors inside have failed - this is an easy visual check, usually, if you pop it open. Any of them bulging or leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Fresh Paint

I don't think any capacitors are leaking, but that white stuff under the plastic shroud and on some of the caps could be leakage, or just thermal paste. None of the caps are bulging, so other than the white stuff, the PSU looks fine.

Sorry about the crappy pic btw, all I had available was my cell phone's camera.

The white stuff is just glue. Nothing to worry about there.

You don't have a friend who has a multimeter you can borrow, just in case, do you?

(I'd bet on it being the motherboard, a Micro-Star Int'l [MSI] MS-6579 - I'd check the capacitors on that as well, for similar symptoms, since quite a few MSI 'boards up until the early P4 era had these problems, and an unrelated 'bad batch' of capacitors from an otherwise reputable company [Nichicon HM/HN series] brought down quite a few 'boards from the P4 Northwood/Prescott era. Of course, there's a good chance it's not the capacitors at all, and static electricity, for example, killed off the 'board. Do you have a known-good stick of DDR RAM you can try in it?)

EDIT: 300... woo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...