Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 crash and burns, give up now?

Default 3 crash and burns, give up now?

Well so far I have tried 3 different distros of linux(popular ones at that):Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mandriva

Fedora said right on boot(didnt even get to boot screen) that there was a kernal panic. Ubuntu gets to the boot screen(Yay!) Then laughs in my face as it goes into kernal panic in the middle of boot. Mandriva was the worst , it gives me the beutiful boot screen then loads all the way. I got so exited. But then, it goes to a black sceen with a white dash in the top left corner and just freezes.Woopdydoo. Does linux just hate me or am i doing something wrong.

Default Re: 3 crash and burns, give up now?

I'd try looking on the linux forums to see if you have some kind of weird hardware conflict. I assume you had no issues doing the installation of any them. Maybe you're hitting a bad sector on the hard drive? I'll try to dig up some things and see what I can find on other forums.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

You could try Debian. It's what Ubuntu is based off of. Really, I don't know what to tell you. Like Killa_Ape said, you might have some weird hardware conflict. How old is the motherboard that you're trying it with?
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    You could try Debian. It's what Ubuntu is based off of. Really, I don't know what to tell you. Like Killa_Ape said, you might have some weird hardware conflict. How old is the motherboard that you're trying it with?

Im actually downloading Debian right now! The mobo is about 2-4 years old. One of the funny things is right before i get kernal panic in ubuntu, on the bottom it says kernal alive.

EDIT: Just tried debian, complete fail

Specific hardware?

I've only had a few occasions when some sort of Linux flat out wouldn't work; I just got an Ubuntu LAMP up on a P4 HP workstation. Have you tried like, the Ubuntu Alternate install CD? It isn't a LiveCD so if it was a problem with X11 you should still be able to install.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Specific hardware?

I've only had a few occasions when some sort of Linux flat out wouldn't work; I just got an Ubuntu LAMP up on a P4 HP workstation. Have you tried like, the Ubuntu Alternate install CD? It isn't a LiveCD so if it was a problem with X11 you should still be able to install.

Well ive used: Ubuntu Live CD and Wubi, Mandriva Live CD, Debian Live CD and Fedora Live CD. So far none of these have worked.

Did you have anything on the computer before? Try wiping it completely with dban.

I've had similar issues with video drivers.. what card do you have? Try VGA mode, and see if that works for you.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Well i Tried in safe graphics mode, no help. Im going to go test the live cd on my mom's laptop(even though my ISO burner and the ubuntu CD Checker said theres no problems with the burn)

EDIT:

=( Turns out the CD was fine, as a matter of fact the live cd ran like 3 times faster then my windows in on a hard drive.

Water Cooled

what make/model of mobo are you using? I had heard of a "bug" that affected specific mobo BIOS chips. The bug seemed to specifically kill LINUX due to how they are structured. There is a fix to it, but it is not for the faint of heart. Maybe to a google search for your mobo manufacturer and linux.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown