Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project: Cascade

Overclocked

Default Project: Cascade

Back again for my second mod, this one is gonna be something different. Like the title suggests, this mod is gonna feature a cascade.

Heres the case I'm starting with:

I'm gonna spray it black, put a window in it, and some fans. Got any ideas? Let me hear em' !

I'm gonna have a DVD drive in the top 'holder', with the 'cascade' in the bottom three. I have designed the cascade in sketchup.

I havent included the pump in the drawing. Basically, the bottom part acts as a resivoir, and the pump pushes the water up to the top. It then runs down the front and around the letters back into the resivoir. I put a step-like piece on the back of the cascade so that the water will flow evenly down the front.

I should get the window cut and fitted tonight, and maybe start on the cascade. I need to pop to B&Q to get some stuff for the case. Should be able to go tomorrow. Should have an update by around tuesday.
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0

Default Re: Project: Cascade

I'm glad my initial assumption was wrong. This should be good...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Overclocked

I should use that as my next project, fit the pc in the box. I saw someone do it with an XP box, should work with a cascade box .
    Current Mod
    Artic Power 500W PSU

Overclocked

OK, I brought what I thought was plexi, turns out to be polystyrene. I got the 4mm stuff. I'm used to the 2mm stuff, and attempted to cut the 4mm stuff with a jigsaw. Only problem was that the blade melted the polystyrene, then it glued itself back together again. My grandad is coming over tomorrow with something that should cut it. He didnt mention what it was. (He has lots of tools - retired builder).

Should be starting the paint job on the front panel if I dont come up with ny more ideas.

I've decided to make a hinged side panel. Should finish cutting the same panel tomorrow, and making the window for it too, which I will use the 2mm polystyrene for.

Not sure what else I have planned for this mod. The only thing I planned for this mod was the cascade, which I have changed the plan for now anyway.

Check this thread for an update at the weekend XD
    Current Mod
    Artic Power 500W PSU

Not sure if it'll work for your polystyrene but I've had luck putting masking tape on the backside of the line when cutting polystyrene. It keeps it from gluing back together.

i've had the same problem. i heard putting water on it while you cut will also keep it from gluing back together. haven't actually tried that though. let me know if you do try it

Here is a little trick I used when I cut my styrene for Motorized Madness on my scroll saw. -keep a bottle of dust remover (air) nearby and turn it upside down. as you cut, spray a little air on the blade. it will actually freeze it and keep it cold for a little while. -this will prevent it from melting. just a little goes along way. the only problem is it stinks.

Overclocked

Thanks for the advice guys.

Spidy88, I wouldent really mix water and jigsaw, I'd probably find a use for my RCCB if I did.

renderman, thanks for the heads up on the compressed air. I might try that if the tool my grandad is bringing round doesnt help.
    Current Mod
    Artic Power 500W PSU

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

^SPAM reported

Anyway back on topic. LOL when you said cascade I thought you were referring to a phase change cascade cooler lol. I like the idea but I can see that whole waterfall/cascade feature being a flow killer. Perhaps intergrating a seperate pond pump would be better.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Overclocked

Well I was thinking of running it as a stand alone feature seperate from water cooling loops (thats if I use one).

A bit like what I m doing with my other project (Project:MDF MoDiFy). That is a dedicated pump pushing blue coloured water round some pvc piping with silver glitter.

I have a new workbench ! I'll get round to taking a picture of it tomorrow.

I now have the window cut out, and I have pretty much finished the front panel. It just needs priming and painting, then the front panel will be finished. I then have to start on the cascade.

The problem with the polystyrene is over. I managed to get hold of a stanley knife. Here's a piccy.

This thing cuts nicely. I think I might hve to get some more blades, but it works alright for the moment. Updates as and when I can XD
    Current Mod
    Artic Power 500W PSU