Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: network penetration testing?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default network penetration testing?

hey all, me again.

My mom recently asked me to reveal the security flaws in our home network and her computer in particular because it contains very sensitive data and she needs to know how easy or hard it is for people to get to her information both from connecting to our network (through WEP cracking) and from the internet.

The problem with this is that I don't know how to do most of this. I've only done some light research on WEP cracking but other than that I know very little of penetration testing.

Aside from running distros of linux specially designed for penetration testing (like nubuntu, which I will probably end up running), what else should I keep in mind? utilities, methods, etc?

for the sake of keeping this knowledge off of the forum (because I realize it can be used for black-hat hacking), I kindly ask that you PM me any/all information you have and lets keep TBCS from being a hacking website. Also, applications for windows hacking are acceptable, but I know linux is typically more powerful for this as there's a lot of stuff that's not regulated like it is under windows.

Thanks,
    Omega

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Default Re: network penetration testing?

**The staff has talked it over. While some of this information could be used negatively, it is still good information for anyone wanting to intrusively test their personal networks. It's up to you to use such information responsibly. Any talk of hacking someone's network other than your own, and your post will be removed.**

That being said; discuss...

I was interested in seeing this held in a public discussion because I feel that learning how to test your own network's security is very useful information for everyone. Obviously, it is nearly impossible to hold this discussion without explaining how to penetrate security measures which would normally be seen as illegal hacking and would be punished. In this thread, all of this information is for the sole purpose of trying to hack one's own network and never anything else. With that in mind, some of you may feel uncomfortable not knowing what could get you in trouble here. So with that in mind, we will refrain from any refractions, bans, or other means of discipline. If we see something that we don't think we can allow we will simply delete it and you won't have any consequences. This applies to this thread only.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

l337 H4X0r1hG 5k177s!

ok, had to get that out.

Nmap (www.insecure.org) is great for port scanning to see what you look like to the world. It will find ports and OS fingerprint.

Next up, is Wireshark. Great for packet capturing to see what you are transmitting between your machines. You'd be amazed how much you can learn from a 10 sec capture.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Without going into too much detail, if you have sensitive data, don't use it on a central network which also has wireless. It's been shown that very strong wireless protection can be broken easily.... by a GTX280.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

@Crenn - it's ok to go into detail.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

If you want a distro with all the penetration testing tools you need grab a copy of Backtrack http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html. It is the best it beats the others by a country mile. It has tools for putting together expliots, the full metaspliot frame work all the wifi tools you need.

Like Luke122's said nmap is a good tool use in inside your network to scan host machines and also scan the public IP address of the internet connection. Play around with some of the options. There are some neat options for version detection along with probing ports to see what service is running on them.

Once you have found some ports see if you can connect to them using the programs most likey to access a port on the service. If a service is running on a port but you cant connect maybe the service is password protected you could try some other tatics to get code to execute on the host machine.

If people want I could do a write up on WEP and WPA sniffing and cracking guide.

If you want more info on anything hit me up in this thread or a pm.
    Need a sig

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post

If people want I could do a write up on WEP and WPA sniffing and cracking guide.

If you want more info on anything hit me up in this thread or a pm.
    I think that's what this thread needs. Just to reiterate, this information will be used for your own personal networks only. Ok, I'm done beating the dead horse.

A great tool for overall network security testing is wireshark. If you need help with MAC address spoofing or packet inserts, feel free to pm. From the side of your network, there are many programs you can use to track the people trying to get in, close ports as soon as intrusions are detected, etc. Like I said, feel free to pm me if you're interested.

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

It depends on how indepth a level of protection you are wanting to establish. Hit up your external IP with a good port scanner and make sure your firewall is denying basically everything. That takes care of a lot of issues (most script kiddies).

The main thing is to realize that any system can be broken, the question is how far up the food chain are you wanting to be before they become a threat to you. A good closed firewall will stop the entry level stuff (unless you invite them in with a trojan). After that it just becomes a process of diminishing returns for signifigant investment to start weeding out higher level attackers.

Ultimately it just boils down to the point that a determined cracking team would be able to break the box writing some custom 0 day exploit and the only next secure step is an isolated workstation with a sneakernet to the rest of your network. Of course that can be broken as well, but now we are looking a MI style physical intrusion.

Basically I just mean to illustrate the viscious cycle that intrusion/countermeasures lead into.

If you want a good example of what can happen. Take a spare PC, set it up with an un-patched version of windows, say Win98. Install a good logging program. Set it to DMZ on your router, and watch the logs. It's called a honeypot and the average Time To Intrusion is measured in hours, not even days. Great way to learn whitehatting, catch a blackhat.

http://www.atomicsoftwaresolutions.com/honeybot.php