Thread: What to upgrade?

Default What to upgrade?

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about upgrading my desktop. Right now I have -

Intel Core 2 duo E6600
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
    evga 7950 GX2
    2x WD raptor 75 gig RAID0
    2 gig Corsair memory

I'd like to upgrade to an Intel Quad core CPU like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017
    but I'm open to suggestions.

I'd like to upgrade to 4 gigs of RAM but I have no idea what brand to go for, so I'm looking for suggestions. And I'd like to pick up a second 7950 GX2 (been seeing them for about $125) I know they're getting dated and all but oh well, $125 to go from a 512 card to 2 gig quad SLI? Sounds good . If I run quad SLI with them would I be able to use both monitors still (as opposed to the single GX2 in SLI knocking out my second monitor)? And would I see much of a performance upgrade?

I also plan on using the old RAM and CPU for a HTPC (with MythTV) so if someone could suggest parts/brands (micro ATX mobo and a cheap video card with HDMI) for one that'd be great. Or if someone is pretty savvy with MythTV let me know, I've got a ton of questions

Default Re: What to upgrade?

I would personally go with the 45 nm processors if i were going with Intel. Less heat, more transistors, higher FSB, more cache.

Also, for memory I use PQI. It's worked for me so far. I have crucial in the laptop though cause it had Micron FTB chips.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Could you point me towards a certain one? Here's the list of supported CPUs (that should be the right one, I can't remember which rev. it is off the top of my head)

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2422

There's a memory support list from the link as well. Anyone have some input on the Quad SLi thing?

The one on the link you listed above was one of the old 65 nm quad-core CPUs. The 45 nm architecture on the Penryn core would be the better choice, because it's fresh. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115043

The new core i7 which should be out in a week is what I look forward to getting. You might want to think about that. It should be 284ish for a 2.66GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    The new core i7 which should be out in a week is what I look forward to getting. You might want to think about that. It should be 284ish for a 2.66GHz
    Sounds like a plan.

Remember that will require a new motherboard (X58 chipset, socket LGA1366) and memory (DDR3). That combined will run $600+ (the motherboards are running $200+, and you'll probably spend $120+ on a good three channel DDR3 memory kit).

I'd say if you have a 64bit OS get another 2gb of memory (get the same as you already have) and upgrade that graphics card. That will give you the most cost effective upgrade (especially if you have Vista). Graphics card wise, I'm partial towards ATI right now, so I'd say go with a HD4780 1G or HD4780X2, but the Nvidia GT280 isn't a bad card either. Check out Tom's Hardware Guide's 2008Q3 graphics roundup, it has all the modern cards and even your current card so you can compare it with the new goodies on the market now.

That said, personally I'm waiting to get a Ci7, but then again I'm gaming on a P4 3.0 with a 6600GT, so I have to get new of everything anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

I'm wishing for a winning lotto ticket so I can afford a Core i7 system.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I'm running 64 bit ubuntu actually. I think I'm just going to get another 7950 GX2 then upgrade the CPU and get a new set of RAM. The replaced CPU and RAM are going into a HTPC. I don't want to spend a ton so I don't want to replace my mobo :-/

Newegg has all the Core i7 stuff now, but it's definitely a bit expensive. The 920 is running $320 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115202 ) (about $40 more than what it should be at), plus the cheapest motherboard (MSI thing for $220) and 3GB of tri channel DDR3 (1333 speed) for $130 runs the total up to $670 so my estimate was not too far off.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol