Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: upgrading a Socket A AMD processor

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: upgrading a Socket A AMD processor

You can get an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ from newegg for only $35.99. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20-%20Desktops It's what I used in my parents' computer, and it works just fine. The whole thing (including 2 gigs ram) from an old 2.5GHz Celeron only cost $100, and was, in my opinion, well worth it. I did use the existing DVD drive, and a better hard drive from a computer I got out of the trash, though. The [Cooler Master] case (and its crappy power supply) was also free with a mail in rebate and a combo deal with my motherboard.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Okay, so i've totally got my heart set on upgrading my motherboard, cpu and memory to make a much faster and more modern gaming rig.

Though i'm faced with many choices of what to upgrade to and even more questions that i would like answered, if anyone knows.

First one is, can i go into a SLI or Crossfire setup by buying a new board?

Next, Can i switch cpu manufacturers? My current one is an AMD and I am hopeful to try out an Intel device. If not, no big deal, there's lots of AMD fishies out there.

third, is it possible to do this under $250?

and final, Can i still keep my hard drive, optical drive, peripherals, blah-blah etc? or would i, for example, need to get a SATA hard drive, or just an adapter of sorts?

any further knowledge of this would be appreciated very much!
    “An intelligent hell would be better than a retarded paradise”
    -Victor Hugo

You can get an SLI or Crossfire compatible board that is compatible with either Intel or AMD. Motherboards still have one IDE channel, so you would be fine with your current drives. You would need new memory. It's possible to do it for under $250 if you stretch your money. AMD is cheaper than Intel. My offer that I made on your current hardware is still up for taking. Let us know if you need any help putting together a list of hardware to buy.
    Help my mini city
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.

I see.
    I'm certain i could make this happen with under $250 dollars, maybe even $200.

Normally, I would go all out, but I need to stretch my money to save for a new car. Someone I know is selling a mustang

But that's aside from the point. DDR2 memory is ridiculously cheap as of lately, and some Athlon X2 procs go for $50-$60. I'm sure the biggest one is gonna be the motherboard.

and whenever i buy this stuff, I'll keep you in mind, Nevermind, when it comes to getting rid of these old pieces of hardware.
    “An intelligent hell would be better than a retarded paradise”
    -Victor Hugo

I say, get this processor, and this RAM if you're willing to deal with the rebate.
    Help my mini city

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

well it depends on the bus speed of your motherboard.

If it's a 333mhz FSB then the best supported cpu would be a athlon xp 2800+ Thunderbird core.

if its 400mhz then its a Athlon xp 3200+ Barton core edition. (alot faster then the thunderbird core)

if its 266mhz then the fastest supported cpu would be a 2400+ Thunderbird.

Hope this helps.

Its cheaper to buy a whole stack with the cpu inside then it is the cpu itself now.

But a 4200+ socket Am2 is 35$ and a DFI board is 46$ add a 10-15$ 1024MB stick and your up and running a whole hell of alot faster, for cheaper.

ive seen people asking 150-160$ for barton socket A's

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    If it's a 333mhz FSB then the best supported cpu would be a athlon xp 2800+ Thunderbird core.
    I just bought one of those new off of zipzoomfly. It was cheaper than an open box one.
    Help my mini city

If they'd made a 2800+ Thunderbird, it'd be able to heat your house. The similar-sounding "Thoroughbred" core was used from about 1700+ through 2700/2800+, originally running alongside the Palomino (which replaced Thunderbird), then replaced by the Barton, which was basically a Thoroughbred with 512k of L2 cache, rather than the 256k of previous Socket A (and later Slot A) Athlons.

Outside of the pedantic name-correcting, though, you're correct, and you said pretty much what I would've. +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...