Thread: Ideas Request

Fresh Paint

Default Ideas Request

Hey all...I've been reading through the main site for a few months now and pretty much signed on recently. I've been working on trying to figure out some ideas for modding my case, yet, I've run into a big wall. I honestly have no idea what in the heck to do to my case !!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811517002

This is the case I recently purchased and I actually like it very much. What's inside:

Core 2 Quad Processor Q8400
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0316263

P5Q SE2 P45 775 ATX Motherboard
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0301083

EVGA e-Geforce 8800 GT 512mb
    250GB/160GB SATA HDD Samsung
    Pioneer DVD-RW DL
    Samsung DVD-R (X360 )
    6GB OCZ DDR2 1066
    650W Power Supply

I believe that's all...going off of memory currently (at work presently).

Anywho, I really would like to spice up my case and definitely showcase it to you all. I'm not going for a case like the Doom3, or Matrix one...but I would like to do something and have a little challenge while learning as well more about electronic components. You all are the best!!!

EDIT: If this is in the wrong thread, my apologies in advance. Seemed to be the best one.
    Last edited by Rivera82falcon; 10-14-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Adding information

Default Re: Ideas Request

Welcome Rivera82flacon!

We're happy to have you here and look forward to your first project. As for the location for this post, it might be better off in the "Idea Zone". This thread is generally for already built mods, though we don't really have strict posting categories so it's not a big deal. I'll move it over there though because you might get more appropriate responses in that section. As for ideas, well there was a thread that is many pages long of people just spit-balling mod theme ideas. You might give that a try for some inspiration, you can find it here.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=8479
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Welcome Rivera82flacon!

We're happy to have you here and look forward to your first project. As for the location for this post, it might be better off in the "Idea Zone". This thread is generally for already built mods, though we don't really have strict posting categories so it's not a big deal. I'll move it over there though because you might get more appropriate responses in that section. As for ideas, well there was a thread that is many pages long of people just spit-balling mod theme ideas. You might give that a try for some inspiration, you can find it here.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=8479
    Very much appreciated good sir!!! I'll definitely take a peek through it in a few...lunch break

Welcome to TBCS. I'm a bit new here as well.

Basically, you should find any problems with the case as is and correct them [FUNCTION], then decide what you consider the ugliest part of the computer and cover/change/remove it [FORM].

The first things I noticed were the AZZA on the front, the colors of the case, and the questionable 120mm fan holes in the back - I'd open that up so the case can exhale a bit better. I can't suggest colors because I don't know what you like but some color on that thing couldn't hurt it. Painting can be a bit tricky and probably isn't a good mod to start with though. And the AZZA - well, if you're customizing the hell out of this case then I guess YOU should decide if and what to brand it.

If you're keeping the air cooling, then perhaps a 120mm blow hole in the top could help keep things cool. Make sure you have more CFM coming into the case than exiting though.

Throw a link to this page in your sig or something to get more hits. I've currently only had 2 comments on my theoretical project in Idea Zone, and they're both from the same guy. Advertising FTW!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Welcome to TBCS. I'm a bit new here as well.

Basically, you should find any problems with the case as is and correct them [FUNCTION], then decide what you consider the ugliest part of the computer and cover/change/remove it [FORM].

The first things I noticed were the AZZA on the front, the colors of the case, and the questionable 120mm fan holes in the back - I'd open that up so the case can exhale a bit better. I can't suggest colors because I don't know what you like but some color on that thing couldn't hurt it. Painting can be a bit tricky and probably isn't a good mod to start with though. And the AZZA - well, if you're customizing the hell out of this case then I guess YOU should decide if and what to brand it.

If you're keeping the air cooling, then perhaps a 120mm blow hole in the top could help keep things cool. Make sure you have more CFM coming into the case than exiting though.

Throw a link to this page in your sig or something to get more hits. I've currently only had 2 comments on my theoretical project in Idea Zone, and they're both from the same guy. Advertising FTW!
    I appreciate your thoughts and take them into good consideration.

I have no experience using bondo or any other substance to fill in "holes" per say, so removing the AZZA name can be a great start leaving the rest of the front door open for adding something else or just cleaning it up and painting it or even using my dremmel to etch a design in the front...who knows? (ACHIEVEMENT: IDEA #1)

As for the air flow, it comes with x3 80mm fans (with blue LEDs) that actually direct the air flow nicely from the front of the case blowing the heat generated from the hdds back and up close to the processor and sucking it out in the rear. I haven't had an opportunity to actually get a proper temp reading as I've been traveling with work for quite some time and when I am home, I'm spending my "free time" with my wife so that really leaves me little chance to actually sit on my pc and test. I might give it a whirl tonight though while my wifey passes out and hopefully give you all an idea of how it works.

I replaced the stock processor fan as well with one much bigger and quieter as well that has an 80mm fan on it too (with an option of adding an additional fan) to push the heat off the heat sink and out the back of the case. When I get home I will look at the type of fan sync used in case anyone else is interested.
    Last edited by Rivera82falcon; 10-14-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typos