Thread: Need help on extreme case theme...please.

Fresh Paint

Default Need help on extreme case theme...please.

Hey all...its been a year or so since I have been actively modding but I saw an opprotunity and decided to take it.

As some of you know, I am not really new to the modding scene as I have a few builds (Big Blue, Christine, Ultimedia, and Tanya) under my belt, however I am about to begin a new mod and I would like some input from other modders.

A little background first: I am working for a company that sells, leases, and repairs copiers and office printers. Occasionally, they toss out copiers that reach the end of their life cycle or become too expensive to continue repairing.

In any case, I have an opprotunity to take home (for free) two Canon ImageRunner 400s copiers with the Document Feeder and Cabinet on both machines. (Link to see what copier looks like that I am talking about).

Now, my thought is gutting the copiers' internals completely, leaving just the outer shell. I was thinking of modding the document feeder, (gutting and modding it) into just a cover, or maybe I could mount an LCD monitor on the inside of the lid?

I was also thinking of leaving the glass intact...letting it act as a window instead of having to mod out the side of the case or find some new material, such as acrylic.

Internally, my thought was having 2-3 spare P4 single-core motherboards either arranged in a vertical, 'sliced bread', arrangement, or having two motherboards mounted on mirrors or reflective acrylic and set in a "V" like formation inside the case. Standard cathodes or LED strips will light the internals.

(I was thinking if I go multi-motherboards I may want to do a linux-based cluster...so any help on that is appreciated highly.)

What I am really looking for is some advice on the exterior. Mainly what I need is help on a theme...and remember, I have TWO of these copiers.

First I was thinking of doing a retro-60 to 80's mainframe or super computer theme. Make it look like big beefy machine right out of an ancient server room. Think Honeywell-Bull DPS 7, IBM 700/7000 series, IBM System/360, or if I go with a super computer theme...something like Cray (which I could do if I modded the outside)

I was also thinking of doing a futuristic case...like something that could be cast as a Star Trek TNG or Voyager type prop. Very smooth lines and hidden accent lighting.

A HAL themed case has always perked my interest as well but I'm not sure how to go about making that signature red eye plate, or how the rest of the case should look and feel.

Another idea passed along by a friend was to do a Military theme PC....something that looks like it could be a forward fire-base computer main-frame. The idea didn't really appeal to me at first but now I am beginning to take to it.

Another friend suggested that I do a Jukebox mod, and while I like the idea and have kicked it around for a few years, I'm not sure how to go about finishing it off if I started it....(software? touch screen? speaker placement?)

Now, again I have two of these copiers so I could do more than one theme, listed here or something I may have not thought of..... Anyway, thoughts?

Default Re: Need help on extreme case theme...please.

I don't know if this is the correct thread to request help about a still not born project, but anyway, we want pics. Pics are mandatory. We need pics to help you

Mainframe theme sounds good.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

You could also do something like the WOPR.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I was thinking the same thing NM. I loved that movie. I even found pics of the WOPR to help out:

I think one or two copy machines could fit it great. It actually looks like it wouldn't be too hard to build from scratch.
    Help my mini city
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.

If you're looking to build one into a copier, based on my experience, the best way to go about things is to gut the copier entirely and scavenge/build frames inside of it for various components. I've got a half-dozen projects going right now, one of them being a micro-ATX system inside an inkjet printer... once I update that I'll let you know more about how that's going.

Of course, if you don't use that idea, this advice might be useful to someone else, so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

I have an extra HP case with a removable micro ATX motherboard tray.
    Help my mini city

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Jabyaeye View Post
    I was thinking the same thing NM. I loved that movie. I even found pics of the WOPR to help out:
    I like that idea a lot! I'm going to have to think about that seriously.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    If you're looking to build one into a copier, based on my experience, the best way to go about things is to gut the copier entirely and scavenge/build frames inside of it for various components. I've got a half-dozen projects going right now, one of them being a micro-ATX system inside an inkjet printer... once I update that I'll let you know more about how that's going.

Of course, if you don't use that idea, this advice might be useful to someone else, so.
    I like the idea and I was planning to get the copiers down to just the bare frames, then go from there on the builds. I certainly have enough printers and scanners laying around that I could mod one up as the next project...I do like that idea, as it sounds challenging.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    I don't know if this is the correct thread to request help about a still not born project, but anyway, we want pics. Pics are mandatory. We need pics to help you

Mainframe theme sounds good.

I linked to my prior projects because the pictures would break the boarders of the thread.

The two copiers look like this (taken from the link above):

Poor quality picture, however that's the exact setup I am getting. It was the only picture of the 2-tray copier sitting on the empty cabinet I could find, but with this picture you can see the opportunities. The machine can be gutted from the top glass, to the trays. There is ample room in the trays for mounting a 24 port switch or storing items (keyboard, mice, HDD, DVD-RW), and the cabinet could hold any number of items (built-in speakers, PSU storage).

The frame on each side is completely open, allowing me to create windows in any direction, if I so chose. It also means I have a lot of access when mounting and running wires...and later when the project is finished I may need to work on the hardware.

Also, I can't find any work log or post on someone taking a full-sized office copier and modding it into a PC case so there is the uniqueness factor...