Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering Applying for a Job

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Considering Applying for a Job

There's a job in the paper for a computer technician who can handle:

Site setup, technical support and maintenance on PC's in a Windows 2003 Server enviroment. I have never used used Server 2003, but from what I have researched it looks like Windows 2000. Anyone with a little expertise?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: Considering Applying for a Job

Windows Server 2003 is pretty easy to use, especially for Active Directory stuff, it's literally point-n-click. The learning curve is very gentle for most things on Windows Server 2003.

I was watching some YouTube videos and for it and . . . . . . . . . . I am lost
    WH1T3 0U7
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

What exactly do you need to know about it/how to do? Really, if you can get your hands on a copy of it (preferably a legal copy), take a weekend and play with it on a computer and a network of a few PCs and you'll pick up the feel of things for it.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I agree with mtekk get a copy and setup it up and have a play around.
    Need a sig

It is extremely easy to learn after a few tries. If they are a small company (2-75 employees), I would guess that they are using Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP. They may have their own Exchange server, but that is unlikely unless their last tech knew what he was doing.

Like they said, Active Directory is literally point and click, and it is easy to figure out user properties and so on after a day or so. Even if you aren't familiar with DNS and DHCP, if it was set up correctly in the past then it will be easy to administrate and replicate.

If they have another tech that you will be working under or with, ask him to show you one or two things in the first week. Don't get discouraged by the videos either, instead read some of the support docs from Technet or MSDN while you are playing around with it.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

I definitely agree that you should get your hands on a copy and start playing around with it. I found 2003 to be easier than 2000 to work with, so if you have a solid understanding of AD and DNS, you'll be fine.

Exchange is a bit deeper to learn, but you can pick it up pretty quickly.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I'll echo what everyone else has said. If you know server 2000, you can find your way around server03 with no problem. Go for it!

Server2k3 isn't bad. I took this job knowing NOTHING about servers in general. I was able to pick it up easy. Just get a copy of it and set it up on a old machine, play around with it and follow tutorials online.

The job is for a High School. They have at least a hundred computers in the school. I KNOW NOTHING about Server 2003, but it says you only need an Associates degree in a PC field and I have two.

I always put that I am a modder on my resume too!
    WH1T3 0U7