Page 1 of 25 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: My Summer Project

Default My Summer Project

I've made mention of a project I've been working on a few times lately. My brothers wanted a video showing what I've done, so I figured you guys could see it too.

In progress and no where near done, but some technologies have been implemented rather successfully. I've got a whole todo list pages long, and am making progress. Either way this is something I haven't done before, so should go well on my resume.

Edit: Figured out the embed. Also, I've pulled the animation engine, among other things, so I wouldn't get distracted on working on other things while I worked on the map/world code. And sorry about the steam ping right in the middle of the video.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: My Summer Project

looks cool when can I play?

Lol, it still has a lot of work to do. Right now you can go around the world, spawn water, add/remove blocks of all different types. The map is persistent. You can save it, load it, etc. You can generate a new map that is completely random.

I've only gotten a half page done of my 3+ pages long to-do list.

The concept is minecraft / terraria styled world map with Zelda / Metroid / Castlevania styled dungeons and boss fights. We'll see how I do. My brother is supposed to be helping on the art, but we'll see where that goes.

It is always nice when you realize you over thought something you were programming.

Wrote a few hundred lines of code, then realized I could chop that in half so I rewrote it.

Today looking through it I realized I could replace the entire thing with two lines of code. I had already implemented what I needed exactly for this situation, but entirely forgot that I had. Got rid of a whole ton of dynamic calculations with something I already had been keeping track of. Lmfao.

lol nice

Bug Fixes / Additions:

* Reworked the collision system
    * Fixed the water fanning problem seen in the video
    * Water now seeks its own level
    * Removed flying
    * Added the ability to double/triple/etc jump
    * Partially implemented map <-> dungeon player transitions

Next To Do:

* Re-implement the animation system
    * Menu System
    * Inventory
    * HUD

I've fixed a whole bunch of bugs. Coded the animation system back in. Went in a slightly different direction than my last To Do List. The menu system is half way done to having a base implementation.

My focus today was getting the dynamic tile textures implemented. There are still a few cases I haven't made test textures for, notably single block columns and rows size greater than 2.

i.e.

===

and

||
    ||
    ||

The center tile renders as a different texture than it should, because I haven't drawn one up yet.

Another quick video for you. I forgot to set the quality before I started so it is low and doesn't show off the textures too well. These were just my attempts at a simple set of spritesheets. I like the crisp look of the first video better, so it is something I will take into consideration when I actually spend a decent chunk of time working on the sprites/textures.

The code works for all blocks. I just haven't made any textures for any of the other blocks besides the dirt and the grass. No water, no stone, etc. So they still run on the old textures.

this looks awesome so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Thanks. It's hard for me to visualize when the graphics are so crappy. But I keep telling myself to forget about those for now, to code for them, but don't worry about drawing it all up yet.

Get the code done, then make it pretty. But for things like the dynamic terrain textures, I need to have something for a test case to make sure it's working properly so I've had to draw a few things up.

A lot of people, including my family, don't see much past what it looks like so it can be frustrating. But I know what I've put into it; I know what it can become. Watching old videos of minecraft in development really gets me motivated though. To know that even successful games started off looking the same unpolished way.

So anyway, thanks guys. The support means a lot. Back to work, hehe.

looking good! I want to pllllaaaayyyyy!!!!!